Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm pretty young, I was just joking.

www.clicklawnsnowremoval.com
Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
Little off topic here but has anyone tried selling fire firewood for winter income? I feel like you could cut the trees from customers and make money and then take it home to chop up to save to sell during winter?

In Connecticut, you only need an arborist license to "Prune" Trees, but you can take out the whole tree without license. At least that's what my buddy says here lol
This isn't as easy of a task as you may think. First, you need to cure the wood, or season it. Softwood takes 6-12 months hardwood 1-2 years. You can't burn unseasoned firewood, even if it ignites it can cause chimney build up and cause chimney fires.

So, do you have enough space to store it and season it for the proper amount of time? Also, margins are razor thin. You'll have to cut it yourself, and tons of it, quickly, to make a profit after renting a log splitter. It's really hard work and unless you're set up for it there's very little pay off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperdude16 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty young, I was just joking.
How old are you and do you have insurance? I wouldn't touch a tree without it. Get a winter job or do snow, that's always your best bet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
How old are you and do you have insurance? I wouldn't touch a tree without it. Get a winter job or do snow, that's always your best bet.
Posted via Mobile Device
What's it matter how old he is? Get insurance regardless, especially one that SPECIFICALLY INCLUDES snow removal commercial auto and gen liab. Tree insurance is EXPENSIVE! Only drop the trees in the middle of the forest, not next to a house.
Firewood bundles sell for bundles. I don't do it because I don't have space and time, but it certainly sounds like a good idea if you have that. I'd only sell primo wood for fireplaces, for primo prices..get one of those Christmas tree twiners and bag those suckers. $$.
Age is only a number-keep that hustler spirit and you'll go far.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
This isn't as easy of a task as you may think. First, you need to cure the wood, or season it. Softwood takes 6-12 months hardwood 1-2 years. You can't burn unseasoned firewood, even if it ignites it can cause chimney build up and cause chimney fires.

So, do you have enough space to store it and season it for the proper amount of time? Also, margins are razor thin. You'll have to cut it yourself, and tons of it, quickly, to make a profit after renting a log splitter. It's really hard work and unless you're set up for it there's very little pay off.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd buy a splitter. You can sell bundles when you're sleeping or make truckload deliveries and setup peoples storage too.

Besides, there's WAY low margin in grass cutting, sounds like something we're all used to.

HUSTLE! GET THAT MONEY FROM EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY!!! lol!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay cool. I could probably sell cords, but focus on selling bundles to the customers.

The reason why I had the idea is because I am buying two lots right next to eachother that combine to 1.3 acres. Got a good deal.

The picture of my soon to be property is below and as you can see I have a lot of tree cutting to do.

Probably more wood then I can burn in my wood stove for my 200 sq ft cabin lol
Attached Images

www.clicklawnsnowremoval.com
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

boom. There it is.