Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your have to do what you have to do but I basically cringe mowing past 5:30 pm. I really cringe mowing past 7pm. Not doing Sundays this year unless I'm chronically backed up from weather.

This year is the first I don't have the interference and jamming effect of my other business. Money was good but just couldn't take it anymore.

I really want to head home 5:30/6:00 with few exceptions this year most days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive never part the mowed before, however… i used to side mow on myself lol…

I put head lights on a few of my walkers and cut lawns after dark too.
I hired guys who had day jobs (like walk mart n such) and they came to the shop around 7 and mowed until midnight.

They were mowing sports fields that I just couldn't get on during the day… just too busy with people.
One GHS would mow around bleachers, back stops etc and grab up paper cups and other crud as well.
One I switched out the GHS deck and ran a 74" SD….

worked great… the walker headlights were a cheap upgrade and most fields had some lighting as well.
they didn't need to trim because I had dribbled round up along the fence line.
they didn't need to blow because the GHS grabbed up any debris and the big deck was just mowing wide open grass.

so there are instances where you can mow after dark… Imagine this could be done with commercial and public parks too.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I prefer not to tell my customers about my full time job. If they ask, I will tell them. Really only a few know.

I haven't had a complaint yet, but I'm also careful about it. I try to cut off by 6:30pm when the sun is still out. I think 7pm is too late to be mowing. As for weekends, I leave saturday open incase of rain during the week. Absolutely no mowing on Sunday's.

All you part-time guys are taking money out of the mouths of the full-time grass cutters.Shame on you..... LOL
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
All you part-time guys are taking money out of the mouths of the full-time grass cutters.Shame on you..... LOL
If you are just going to eat your money I don't mind taking it out of your mouth. Didn't you know money is one of the dirtiest things. Quarters,nickels,dimes, and pennies might be hard on your teeth. I'm saving you on your dentist bill. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
If you are just going to eat your money I don't mind taking it out of your mouth. Didn't you know money is one of the dirtiest things. Quarters,nickels,dimes, and pennies might be hard on your teeth. I'm saving you on your dentist bill. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe in anybody making a buck wherever they can.I have guys under cutting me on snowplowing.Well guess what ? I have not advertised since 1990 and do not need to.I turn work away every year.I have 65 residentials and 2 parking lots and am more than happy.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I believe in anybody making a buck wherever they can.I have guys under cutting me on snowplowing.Well guess what ? I have not advertised since 1990 and do not need to.I turn work away every year.I have 65 residentials and 2 parking lots and am more than happy.
I'm just making fun of you reference mistake. It's (food out of our mouths) and ( money out of our pockets). Just a little fun but I understand what you mean. Low ballers ruin decent clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
Wondering how those who work full time mon-fri day shift hours and mow in the evening and weekends have been received by residential customers? Any complaints about being there on the weekend mowing? Did you advertise work will be performed on the weekend or inform them during the estimate?
Just be aware that not everyone will like this. You'll have your niche but don't get upset if people do turn you down based only on that reason.

I have a few clients that switched to me because they gave the guy a try and realized that there were too many times they had family gatherings and had to call to get service earlier. It wasn't a big deal, but just enough to cause them to switch.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You may lose a few based on this, but you'll get the people that just want the lawn cut and don't really care at all when it's done as long as it's done.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a full timer, but Part timers aren't that big of a concern.

There are full time low ballers and part time lowballers. If you price your properties correctly it doesn't matter if you do this full time or part time.

Plus if you have so much work you're turning people down why even bother to comment?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad to be full time. I'd be pissed if I had to go work when I got off work. I never did this in the traditional part time then full time transition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
Wondering how those who work full time mon-fri day shift hours and mow in the evening and weekends have been received by residential customers? Any complaints about being there on the weekend mowing? Did you advertise work will be performed on the weekend or inform them during the estimate?
I cut in the late afternoon/early evening M-T with a goal of being home by 7:00. I never cut on the wkends.

Never had a complaint about mowing in the evenings on the rare occasion it got later than usual.

I try to leave Friday open for landscaping jobs or catch up time if I get rained out during the week. I work four 10 hr days at my full time job M-T so that makes my schedule possible.

I"ve never told my customers I have a full time job, didn't feel I needed to. I always thought it would not be in my favor.

I will tell you this story: A fellow landscaper told one of my mowing clients that I work a full time job. I'm not sure what his intentions were but when the client asked me about it and I told her what I do she just about bowed down to me as the king of the hard work ethic.

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I had another new client in 2012 just flat out ask me if I worked full time. Well, he told the other four clients I have around him and it was all positive.

Even the negative side of it worked for me. One of the four clients asked me to do a landscape job for him that I really didn't want to do but felt like I had to because I wanted to protect my area.

After some thought he decided I was too busy with the full time job to get his work done. I was able to get him to call a trusted landscaper buddy of mine to do the work so it all worked out.

Even though its been positve I probably won't make the full time job annoucement as a part of my new customer greeting.

Not trying to make an issue out of it but think about it for a minute. Have you ever seen an ad stating that the LCO has a full time job and does this on the side?

I consider my business a full time business that I work part-time.

Hope everyone has a great 2014 season!