Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabites View Post
My problem is still existing. Last night I pulled the entire inlet air system off, and cleaned the pipe/hose and the air filter. I put a little carb cleaner in the carb, thinking the choke was sticking. Pulled the spark plugs and checked the gap, and installed a new fuel filter.

Seems to run better now at full speed, but very rough at idle. When running you can open/close the choke and there is no change in engine speed/performance. I would expect the engine to die or start "choking". And yes, I looked and the cable is attached, and the choke appears to open/close as appropriate. I'm starting to lean towards the intake manifold gaskets as mentioned above
When you took the inlet off you didn't replace the gaskets with new ones? Why?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Let me clarify....I pulled the AIR system off. The filter assembly and pipe going into the top of the carburetor. I did not pull the intake manifold off. Nor did I pull the entire carb off and inspect. Those are the items I plan to do next.

2001 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
2003 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
1998 18 ft Equipment Trailer
2012 Exmark Turf Tracer 36" Walk Behind w/Velkie
2011 Toro Z-Master G3 48"
Stihl String Trimmer and Stick Edger
Sthil BR600 Backpack Blower
Lesco 80lb Spreader
Lesco 4 Gal Backpack Sprayer
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabites View Post
Let me clarify....I pulled the AIR system off. The filter assembly and pipe going into the top of the carburetor. I did not pull the intake manifold off. Nor did I pull the entire carb off and inspect. Those are the items I plan to do next.
Ahh ok well keep everyone posted here. This thread helped me hoping it helps others aswell
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Wish I knew how to post pics on here I'd send you a pic of the inlet manifold. But follow the carb it should be mounted on piece of cast metal that leads into the cylinders on the inside of the v of the engine block. That is your inlet manifold. The gaskets I am referring to are in between that cast metal and the engine block. Hope this helps locating it.
Posted via Mobile Device
appreciate but might of made some progress. worked on it this afternoon, first i picked up one of those inline spark testors, nice tool i like it. put that to use first and everything seam to check out ok. then went after the carb. with a some help on the phone, i got it off and think i got it cleaned up pretty good. was alot of dirt etc right inside the one gasket. anyway, everything back together, hooked up and fired it up. at first it didn't seam like i had any improvement but let it run for a few minutes and it seamed to smooth out, specially at low speed. atm thinking maybe plugs might be messed up from not being right but gave it a late eve. test cut. it was sounding way better, freight train sound seam to be back (grew up by the tracks, sometimes the sound reminds of those days), it still seams to sputter when i adjust speed or throttle, it was getting late but thinking i'll pick up some plugs tom. and go from there. btw something else i wanted to post or add but wanna get cleaned up and chow
Old 08-28-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure how everyone's making out, i was running a lot better today, time or two today when back of the throttle the engine spudderd a bit pretty quickly leveled out and also thought i caught a faint backfire once when i was shut it down. will be picking up some plugs tom. current ones are pretty new from july and really cut much with them, dry conditions and all but curious to see how they look. anyway, when i cleaned the carb, i just pretty much disassembled the brass fitting so could get the nozzle or jet out to clean and sprayed as well as spray carb clearer through the body and blew it out. not sure if i could of done more. see how it runs tom. btw few wks back i was cleaning under the shroud and noticed one of the coil wires running underneath to the plug had a little wear in it from rubbing it, got me wondering as to what point is to much wear on the wire. it wasn't a lot but got me wondering, anybody with some thoughts?.