Register free!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zspeed:
You probably want something like Lescos prodiamine Stonewall 0-0-8. No nitrogen so very little added spring growth. Or--use a southern states plan and spray on the wettable powder form, combined with broadleaf herbicide and no nitrogen.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys here have been fertilizing and putting down dimension for the last 2 weeks. Flags in lawns that still have a little snow pile here and there. Then yesterday we get another 8 to 10" and the outlook for next tuesday/wednesday the polar vortex is supposed to dig deep again and get real cold with another possible east coast winter storm. Un freaking believable for this time of year. Many years at this time we are just starting to cut a few of the lawns that green up early. It is looking like we wont cut anything until maybe the middle of april which will be the latest we have ever started in the 31 years we have been in this business. At this point I am not even sure when to put dimension down. I guess I will just wait it out and try to time it just right. I guess once I see the Forsythia's start to bloom I will drop the dimension.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Guys here have been fertilizing and putting down dimension for the last 2 weeks. Flags in lawns that still have a little snow pile here and there. Then yesterday we get another 8 to 10" and the outlook for next tuesday/wednesday the polar vortex is supposed to dig deep again and get real cold with another possible east coast winter storm.
Lawn Doctor flags everywhere, popping out of the snow.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Zspeed:
You probably want something like Lescos prodiamine Stonewall 0-0-8. No nitrogen so very little added spring growth. Or--use a southern states plan and spray on the wettable powder form, combined with broadleaf herbicide and no nitrogen.
How much per bag is the 0-0-8 with Prodiamine?
I am very interested in moving more toward little to no N on that first early app. Haven't been able to find a no N fert product with Barricade until I saw you posted this.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The last few years the soil temperature has started to warm up by Mid March so we would get started with our first application (dimesnsion 19-0-0)

With the large customer base, I need to get started otherwise I will not get done in time... this crazy weather pattern will probably be in mid 80 degrees by the second week of April.

Never been a big fan of "yellow" Barracade due to staining. However, I realize it sits inactive in the soil until temps start to climb. Does Dimension react the same way? or should I use Barracade for a few weeks while soil is still cold.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuckcavs View Post
The last few years the soil temperature has started to warm up by Mid March so we would get started with our first application (dimesnsion 19-0-0)

With the large customer base, I need to get started otherwise I will not get done in time... this crazy weather pattern will probably be in mid 80 degrees by the second week of April.

Never been a big fan of "yellow" Barracade due to staining. However, I realize it sits inactive in the soil until temps start to climb. Does Dimension react the same way? or should I use Barracade for a few weeks while soil is still cold.
No Dimension is more touchy as to how it is activated. You need to be more timely with it. Others can fill you in more on this.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen any apps down yet here in Northern Ohio which makes sense considering the soil is still frozen. Even if the soil is slightly thawed on top a little bit of rain will make for runoff and an application that doesn't work.