Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roger thanks for the pics.

How much "end play" or up and down play did your motor have? I think mine is excessive and it looks like the case is the "thrust " bearing.

I have another mower with the same motor and I may take the cover off and see if it has any end play.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, hard to know a measurement on the play. It was noticeable, could be 1/64", could be less. However, the movement was "hard," that is firm, sure stops. Looking at the drawings, I do not think there is a thrust bearing in this engine. It looks be bushings top and bottom.

I was told in a phone call from a LS regular that the play is to be expected, and not to be concerned. The only time I noticed the play was when putting a pry bar under the flywheel. I could feel a very short upward play. I think my prybar was doing nothing more than lifting up the weight against an upper stop before striking the center bolt to get off the flywheel. The very slight difference was enough to knock it loose on the first strike.

I have no idea what you mean by "excessive." If the engine had tapered bearings top and bottom, and there was up/down play, then there is reason to be concerned. But, with bushed out ends, this is not the case.

I would think long and hard about having somebody press out those bushings and having them replaced -- since you have no side play.

Disclaimer: I know nothing...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Larry, hard to know a measurement on the play. It was noticeable, could be 1/64", could be less. However, the movement was "hard," that is firm, sure stops. Looking at the drawings, I do not think there is a thrust bearing in this engine. It looks be bushings top and bottom.

I was told in a phone call from a LS regular that the play is to be expected, and not to be concerned. The only time I noticed the play was when putting a pry bar under the flywheel. I could feel a very short upward play. I think my prybar was doing nothing more than lifting up the weight against an upper stop before striking the center bolt to get off the flywheel. The very slight difference was enough to knock it loose on the first strike.

I have no idea what you mean by "excessive." If the engine had tapered bearings top and bottom, and there was up/down play, then there is reason to be concerned. But, with bushed out ends, this is not the case.

I would think long and hard about having somebody press out those bushings and having them replaced -- since you have no side play.

Disclaimer: I know nothing...
Thanks again Roger, Im not familiar with these engines eighter, end play of 1/64 would be actable to me. Mine seems excessive, Ill likely tear it down over winter and see whats going on with it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations, Roger! Job well done.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to help. Nothing worse than throwing a ton of money at a simple problem. I firmly believe anybody in this biz should have basic knowledge of their of their gear and be able to make simple repairs. Remember whatever problem you have , you aren't the first to have it and someone on should be able to help you through it. No shame in asking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the "case" is the thrust washer, since my flywheel seems to have moved closer to the starter and all the weight of the clutch and flywheel is down I would guess that the lower case would be worn. The lower case is avaible by itself so its not a matched set. As long as the crank is not also worn Im thinking it would be a 110$ repair, it doesn't appear that the entire engine would reguire disassembly. Any advice would be greatly apppricated.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jac...SAKI/26308/946
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Update on my engine. My oil leak got real bad and I had to stop using the machine. I couldn't find the seal and breather gasket local. So I took the flywheel off and the breather bolts were loose. tightened them up and preshure washed the engine. I check the end play on a nother mower I have with a Kawasaki and it has mabey 1/32 of end play, so I assume some end play is built in. I also assume that 1/16 is excessive. Put the machine back in service and the oil leak is cured but still have running problem mainly under load and hot. Fount one of the coils is bad, I swaped it with the other mower to verify and its on order. Im going to keep a check on the crankshaft movement and take off the bottom case cover this winter.
Thanks to Roger for the great pictures.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like we had the same problem.

I have been running mine full bore since my last post. I have a gasket, but have not wanted to take time to install.

I oil leak was cured with the tightening of the bolts. But, over the past few days, I am beginning to see a few signs of leakage. The bolt tightening for the cover made the problem go away, but the gasket needs to be installed. I've been flat out working, and don't see a break for another couple of weeks. As long as the problem is very minimal, I'm not going to take work time to install the gasket. Further, I am working on getting a pressure washer before I take it apart again.

As for getting the parts locally, I would not expect anybody to have them in stock. Everybody told me the same thing, "These are rarely used, ...don't stock." I ordered mine online. I think Jacks Small Engine should have them. I got mine from a JD warehouse in IL.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I took the bolts out one at a time and put a little bit of Loctite on them. Ive run it hard since then and no leak, didn't see any oil when I replaced the coil. I checked the local shop for the gasket and seal, I didn't want to order them because I wanted to use the mower. I took the coil off the single hydro and its on order. If the thing lasts the rest of the season Ill be a happy camper.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Great thread.

Great pictures, too!