Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I cant wait to actually see 72 cheetah, I havnt seen one, only 61 and 52's. Im sure youll love it, let us know

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

glad you made the choice to go big. I used to work for a well known company around here....they ran 72" mowers and 52" walk behinds all scag. and i ran a 72" mower, i ran it on some steep hills and they were really good....the hill would be so steep that the nose of the machine would be pointing up the hill a little for me to go across it in sort of straight line. i used to love taking those machine on hills, and in tight areas that 72" didn't belong and cut them and not scalp either, i also used to have to cut at 3.25 or 3" if i was running the sabre tooth that day. I feel you will love the 72" deck, i just bought a cheetah last year and ended up choosing a 61" deck and bought the bagger too, if they made a bagger system for the 72" cheetah i would have probably ended up with that. right now with how my accounts are a 72" deck would save me time all around, i have several areas on several accounts that are 78-80 inches wide between a fence and mulch bed, so i have to do two laps with the 61" with a 72" i could do 1 lap around it and be done, and save time in the open part of the yard, once they make a bagger for the 72' cheetah i'll probably get one.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would think a 72" would do a lot of scalping on lumpy yards. You would need a 60" for those type yards. Also a 72" would increase the trim work on some yards since it can't fit into the tighter spaces. Sure would cut the mowing time on wide open flat yards.
I got a brand new 72 exmark due any day now and I'll let you know on the trim work but my guess is it will the opposite. The extra deck they put to the left so it's all on the trim side thus you can get even closer to objects with clearance issues instead of staying further way. My mowers have vac systems so I don't worry about tight spaces I turn the vac on and there is not mess or spraying issues to deal with. Now as for the scalping I will have to see it for my self I am sure I may have a few surprises with that but if its an issue I'll adjust the anti scalp wheels.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I got a brand new 72 exmark due any day now and I'll let you know on the trim work but my guess is it will the opposite. The extra deck they put to the left so it's all on the trim side thus you can get even closer to objects with clearance issues instead of staying further way. My mowers have vac systems so I don't worry about tight spaces I turn the vac on and there is not mess or spraying issues to deal with. Now as for the scalping I will have to see it for my self I am sure I may have a few surprises with that but if its an issue I'll adjust the anti scalp wheels.
72's really don't scalp much more, alot it depends on the operator, and the his or her experience, and what height your cutting at....i was 3" on a sabre tooth that was 13 years old when i was using it. no scalping and i cut some rough stuff, i also would try and position the wheels so i would avoid some of dips a little bit, still had to float the deck a little same thing with going over roots that above ground or rocks that stick up, just float the deck, i've only ran scag 72's and they are sweet, but the exmark 72 sounds sweet with the extra deck to the left.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We have used the new 72" for a few weeks now. It really does a nice job. The 31 might be a little underpowered but I'm not complaining. The ride is VERY nice. What we mow is quite rough and this thing makes it feel so much smoother. We have not lost much in capability. Trimming is just about the same. It also the few slopes we mow much better than our old ZT.

My only complaint is mowing along a ditch, the extra deck will scalp more at the bottom or mowing the lowest pass along a slope will dig in some. It's really just takes some adjusting to the extra deck.

The biggest issue is trailering the extra width. Fortunately small 80" wide trailers are becoming more common. For now I just use my equipment trailer to haul it. Overkill but it gets the job done.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I'd revive this thread to see if anyone has any other experiences with a 72" Cheetah... good or bad. Also, to the original OP, I'd like to hear your thoughts after running this machine for a season. Plus, do you have any pics you could post of the 72" Cheetah?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedSeed View Post
We have used the new 72" for a few weeks now. It really does a nice job. The 31 might be a little underpowered but I'm not complaining. The ride is VERY nice. What we mow is quite rough and this thing makes it feel so much smoother. We have not lost much in capability. Trimming is just about the same. It also the few slopes we mow much better than our old ZT.

My only complaint is mowing along a ditch, the extra deck will scalp more at the bottom or mowing the lowest pass along a slope will dig in some. It's really just takes some adjusting to the extra deck.

The biggest issue is trailering the extra width. Fortunately small 80" wide trailers are becoming more common. For now I just use my equipment trailer to haul it. Overkill but it gets the job done.
Could you please post the model number of your engine, is it the FX850V or the FX921V?