Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardnerLL View Post

I would love to move but NY is such a beautiful place upstate with all the lakes and especially in the Adirondacks where you are now. Its tough to look elsewhere when I grew up here but the more I learn about how other states run themselves and how much easier it is for business elsewhere I cant help but think more and more about heading out.
When you start out the state has you file quarterly.

My first year I did not do much business through the winter so the state sent me a letter saying they were switching me to yearly. I refused because I did not want to hold onto the states money for a year. And also come spring my income was going to go back up.

Though on that form letter there was a line saying that I could stay quarterly. So if I remember the directions was to send the letter back marked staying at quarterly.

I then filled my normal quarterly report. Then the state responded that I had to remain quarterly. No penalties for me.

I will say this there is a trigger amount where the state will require a business to file monthly.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

funny thing is no one here believes you when you say you have to charge sales tax to mow a lawn! 8% on someones bill makes them unhappy!

I'm still paying quarterly sales tax. i hope it stays that way so the bill doesn't get too large.

Stay on top of your CPA to keep looking for loopholes and ways to save money…

also get ahold of me… heard a local large lawn care guy is selling out… may be a good opportunity for someone.