Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Sponsor

Here's a free checklist we created that might help:

http://resources.yardsites.com/reade...n-care-website
Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Depends. What do you want your website to be for you? An online brochure? Or something to generate leads online? Two totally different things.
I love how you always ask that question. It's actually a great question to ask though. I always assumed that everyone whated more leads, more leads, more leads. I never really thought about just having a really nice brochure site. What exactly are reasons for and benefits of a brochure site?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by claytons; 09-07-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytons View Post
What exactly are reasons for and benefits of a brochure site?
Posted via Mobile Device
Some guys just want (or need) a basic site because they are expected to. It looks good on a card or flyer, adding a dash of professionalism.

A brochure site is cheap, simple, and doesn't have to be changed often.

For some business models and/or markets, that's all they need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Some guys just want (or need) a basic site because they are expected to. It looks good on a card or flyer, adding a dash of professionalism.

A brochure site is cheap, simple, and doesn't have to be changed often.

For some business models and/or markets, that's all they need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Expanding on Headz "cheap" aspect, this means you can forego the SEO. Basically, a brochure site requires you to directly communicate to people that your site exists, as the search engines may not do so.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Expanding on Headz "cheap" aspect, this means you can forego the SEO. Basically, a brochure site requires you to directly communicate to people that your site exists, as the search engines may not do so.
Are these sites typically done out of necessity due to a lack of funds? If the intention was to draw potential clienst to the brochure site, then you would obviously need to be advertising in other ways. It seems to me that if you were at a point that you no longer wanted to attract additional clients, a brochure site would be the way to go. However, if the intention was to grow the company a brochure site would have very little effect unless your were pumping out postcards, flyers, etc. Am I on the right track here fellas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytons View Post
However, if the intention was to grow the company a brochure site would have very little effect unless your were pumping out postcards, flyers, etc. Am I on the right track here fellas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep. Pretty much. There are also guys who, while they are trying to grow, are not interested in utilizing a website that way. They rely on word of mouth, old fashioned networking, etc.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Sponsor

Brochure sites are basically just to confirm that you're a real company and not dead or something, but they don't actually make you any money. The one thing I'm going to say that a very high-level sales consultant told me is that every page of your website should have your contact info on it. Email, address, and most importantly, phone number. Because otherwise every page that doesn't have this is a dead end as far as business is concerned.

Watch a 2-minute demo!

Email: ryan@mhelpdesk.com
Web: www.mhelpdesk.com
Phone: 888-558-6275

Old 09-24-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelpdesk View Post
Brochure sites are basically just to confirm that you're a real company and not dead or something, but they don't actually make you any money.
That's one way to look at it, but even a traditional, physical brochure serves a money-making purpose. Even the most basic of "brochureware" sites should be a place you can point your leads to in order to help close them. Portfolio of work, process information, deeper service details, you name it. You may not go out of your way to gain organic search rank, but there's no reason it should simply exist as proof of life.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Sponsor

I wish I had faith that worked, but that hasn't been my experience. You can have pages on a site that are more brochurian, of course, but if you don't have contact details on them it's a lost opportunity. And there should be a call to action somewhere on the site. Because it's no harder to code "Call us today for a free estimate" than it is to code "Ralphville's choice for over 40 years."

Watch a 2-minute demo!

Email: ryan@mhelpdesk.com
Web: www.mhelpdesk.com
Phone: 888-558-6275

Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelpdesk View Post
I wish I had faith that worked, but that hasn't been my experience. You can have pages on a site that are more brochurian, of course, but if you don't have contact details on them it's a lost opportunity. And there should be a call to action somewhere on the site. Because it's no harder to code "Call us today for a free estimate" than it is to code "Ralphville's choice for over 40 years."
I don't think you're separating the two types of sites out. A brochureware site, as intended, is something you are directing people to. Take Headz, for example. If he's operating at 100% capacity, and operates primarily on referral, he might choose to use is site only as a complimentary sales tool, such as a brochure or portfolio. Basically, he's not using it as an inbound tool, via organic search, adwords, whatever. He has no expense or time suck for doing SEO, engagement optimization, whatever.