Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I trim burning bushes as the last task of the season, usually mid-December. I have done the work in January, if I did not get it done in December. I just look for a good work day, or two, or three.

Yes, I shear. One job has 52 of them, all separate. One row has 48 of them, about 8 ft center-to-center. Sorry, I am not of enough patience to do these by hand. The bushes are about five feet high when done. Most of them need about 18" taken offf, the season's growth. They are bulb-shaped, with about three feet between the finished bush.

I also have a hedge, about five feet high, three feet across, and about 70 feet long. I take off about a foot each year.

I have a few others, but they are much simpler.

All of these have been trimmed this way for many years. In Spring, they come out very full.

I use a 22" hedge trimmer attachment on my Stihl stick edger power head. For the 52, all can be done from the ground. They are planted on a raised bed, so a typical hedge trimmer cannot reach the tops, apart from a ladder. Using the attachment/power head (59" shaft), saves much time. On the row of 48, I can do the trim and cleanup, haul debris to a compost pile, at about 8 bushes per hour.

For the hedge, the sides all can be done from the ground, but the top needs to be done off a ladder. Other trim jobs are large bushes, and require a ladder. I use an 8ft orchard ladder -- big improvement over a typical four-legged step ladder.

My technique may not be industry approved. But, these bushes have all been done this way for many years (10-12?), and look very full in the Spring and Summer. But, burning bushes grow so fast, they need signficant trimming every year, or they get out of hand quickly.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Halloween decorations,.... ugh!!! Double ugh! One property I mowed today has two large inflatables, complete with power cord, and four guy strings/stakes. I take no interest in a smiling faced Jack, albeit six feet high, and inflated.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Most deciduous shrubs remain healthier when pruned in the spring than in fall. Reason being is that pruning promotes new growth. Burning bush are getting ready for dormancy this time of year, even if they haven't turned, so pruning back now will shock the plant into growing new shoots, which is bad this time of year. Early spring is the best time for rejuvenation pruning. You have two options to do this correctly. Either of these should be performed in March or early April before the shrub comes out of dormancy.

First is to cut (with hand pruners, never shear burning bush) the stems to reduce the shrub to 2/3 of current size. Always prune at stem joints or branch joints, never leave a "nub." Leaving nubs allow insects and diseases into the shrub because it takes more energy for the plant to heal a nub than a flush cut. After reducing the height by 1/3, take a pruning saw and cut 1/3 of the main branches off at ground level.

Second is the saw the entire bush at ground level. It will return.

Then there's the option of just shearing it in half and hoping for the best. It might be okay.

I would recommend option 1.

As for the holly, it's pretty much the same thing. While evergreen, hollies still go dormant in the winter. You can cut a holly down to 12" above the ground in late March and the bush will grow back.

Hope that helps.
Yes, thank you.

I assumed as much, but figured it was worth asking in case I was wrong.

Now yews REALLY confuse me because everything I've read about them says to ONLY cut them back in EARLY spring, otherwise they won't throw up any new growth - period.
I've had mixed results with them - some grow back and some just don't. I'm almost afraid to cut them any more.
Trimming the scraggly stuff off is never an issue, but 99.9% of people tend to allow the shrubs (all shrubs actually) to grow WAY past where they should, and then they want them cut way down, AND don't understand that to do what they want, there will be no green left.

I hate yews.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good day for wrangling leaves, huh?

LOL! Sounds like a tornado is coming out there.

I'm just sitting at home. The truck is getting new fuel lines installed today and brakes/rotors all around tomorrow morning.

It'll be nice to not be dripping gasoline everywhere I go.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Good day for wrangling leaves, huh?

LOL! Sounds like a tornado is coming out there.

I'm just sitting at home. The truck is getting new fuel lines installed today and brakes/rotors all around tomorrow morning.

It'll be nice to not be dripping gasoline everywhere I go.
Did some aerations and over seeding today, wasn't really possible to blow leaves with this crazy wind.

Rain in store tonight and tomorrow, oh joy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, ... the morning was fine, until about 12 noon. I used the blower to clear leaves early, and then again when starting a new job about 11:30. I got done, and began mowing. But, then the winds started, really blowing hard. Leaves all over! Leaves coming off trees, leaves blowing from property to property, ... all my work with the blower just completed was a complete waste of time. After that point, no more dealing with leaves, other than just mowing through them, until much later. About 4:30, the winds had pretty well died off.

Tonight sounds like 100% chance of rain, with a wet start to the day tomorrow.

Tags
n'at!