Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I don't trust Gravely... yet. I realize they're re-making themselves and are supposedly putting out some nice equipment nowadays but it wasn't long ago that they were a step behind the competition.

I don't trust JD either. A contractor friend of mine owned a couple of JD ZTR's... briefly. He dumped them because he had a lot of issues with those mowers. They were something like 2007 or 2008 models... so maybe things are better with JD now.

I don't even consider Husqvarna on the same level as the other machines you've mentioned here.

I've owned and ran Exmarks and Toro ZTR's for over a decade. They're fine machines, no doubt about it. I still own a couple and I do prefer Exmark WB's. But in 2013 I purchased 3 Turf Tigers and it was a good move for me. My crews have become more productive since adding the Turf Tigers. So much so that in the spring 2014, I added a 72" Scag Cheetah. I imagine I'll probably run Scag until something better comes along... but at a similar price point, I don't see anything that beats Scag currently. If I believed there was something better, I'd switch because I am not brand loyal. I run Scag ZTR's because, in my opinion, they're the best and that's the same reason I run Exmark WB's. I couldn't careless about the color of the machine. I care about getting the job done and doing it well.
How do you like the Cheetah in the 72? I am looking at the Cheetah or Toro 6000 Horizon tech in 72. Can't make up my mind. I can get the Toro about a thousand cheaper with both having Kohler EFI. I am thinking that the Cheetah will cut better (pasture areas) and ride smoother than Toro. The Toro is a high tech machine with a 7 gauge deck at a great price.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the toro. But that's me. Single fill fuel tank, better seat etc etc. also the toro warranty beats the scags
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraman View Post
How do you like the Cheetah in the 72? I am looking at the Cheetah or Toro 6000 Horizon tech in 72. Can't make up my mind. I can get the Toro about a thousand cheaper with both having Kohler EFI. I am thinking that the Cheetah will cut better (pasture areas) and ride smoother than Toro. The Toro is a high tech machine with a 7 gauge deck at a great price.
Absolutely love the Cheetah 72". The cut is excellent and it doesn't seem to have the scalping issues associated with most 72's. It's cut well at high speeds. Mine has the 34 EFI Kohler and it has been everything I hoped it would be - tons of power and super smooth. The Cheetah just turned over 100 hours last week and the only cons I feel like I should mention are...

1. The highest setting for the deck is 5 inches.
2. Sometimes you'll be rolling along mowing at a fast speed, hit a bump, and the deck will bounce up and lock into the transport position. Aggravating.

Other than that, the thing is a beast.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_crab80 View Post
Says you are from Wasilla. Theres only a toro, walker, JD and husky out there. Are you a dealer already? It would be great to have another brand around to purchase.

I've always wondered about the shocks on the Ferris mower. Do they actually make a difference?

Crusty.

Scag Dealer is in Anchorage.
Exmark is in Fairbanks.
There is also a Hustler, grasshopper and gravely dealer in Anchorage.

No, Im not a dealer for Ferris Yet.
Like I said been toying with idea of it.

Talking/thinking/working on taking the Walker Dealership, at the moment.

Husky dealer is wasilla doesn't really sell commercial mowers out of that location, although I suppose he could get them.

Trying to go Walker/shindaiwa.

I would like to have the Ferris Line, but really only interested in the Fw35 and DD machines.

I have a 36 and a 52 Evolution for sale if your interested. Both have under 150 hours.