Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Some of the advice here was quite bad in regards to just bank your money and wait till your truck or mower dies and it will tell you when to replace it. The problem with that is then your at the mercy of what ever is available at the time. With used trucks you may go 6 months before you find what your looking for especially if you wanted a 4 door dump truck with any options. With new trucks unless you want to accept whats on the lot you may wait months for your truck to be built our last one went way long to the tune of 141 days.
The problem is not banking the money. The problem is banking the money then waiting till the truck/mower dies then you have to settle and buy something that day. Instead of buying what you really want.

The point of saving the money is many. Though the point I am raising is that the truck or mower should be bought before the old one dies. Thus when the new one is bought the old one will serve as a back up.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
The problem is not banking the money. The problem is banking the money then waiting till the truck/mower dies then you have to settle and buy something that day. Instead of buying what you really want.

The point of saving the money is many. Though the point I am raising is that the truck or mower should be bought before the old one dies. Thus when the new one is bought the old one will serve as a back up.

I agree to disagree. If you got the money, I feel it would be best to "cycle" trucks. The motor's going to go sooner or later and doesn't last forever. After it goes the truck depreciates in value tremendously. Almost to the point to where you would give it away. Why not sell it before it takes this depreciation and get your money out of it?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I agree to disagree. If you got the money, I feel it would be best to "cycle" trucks. The motor's going to go sooner or later and doesn't last forever. After it goes the truck depreciates in value tremendously. Almost to the point to where you would give it away. Why not sell it before it takes this depreciation and get your money out of it?
As a rule engines just don't go from good to bad. They wear until they need major work. Gas mileage fell off too much. Never add oil to now oil must be added before 1,000 miles are driven. Indicators clue in the owner that the time to replace is near.

Most any one can be happy with a $40,000 pick up. Say it lasted 10 - 15 years, has 200,000 miles on the odometer. That comes to $4,000 - $2,666 dollars a year. Or a $30,000 pick up. That comes to low as $2,000 a year.

I do not care about depreciation because I do not sell my vehicles. I take them past 10 years and as many miles as possible. $2,000 - $3,000 does not buy much in the way of a used truck.

To me it is better to buy a new truck that averages out to $2,500 a year over the life that I have that truck then to keep buying someone else's used piece of junk truck. Most people sell an auto when there is a problem with it. Auto's cost to much just sell them because they got tired of owning them.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
As a rule engines just don't go from good to bad. They wear until they need major work. Gas mileage fell off too much. Never add oil to now oil must be added before 1,000 miles are driven. Indicators clue in the owner that the time to replace is near.

Most any one can be happy with a $40,000 pick up. Say it lasted 10 - 15 years, has 200,000 miles on the odometer. That comes to $4,000 - $2,666 dollars a year. Or a $30,000 pick up. That comes to low as $2,000 a year.

I do not care about depreciation because I do not sell my vehicles. I take them past 10 years and as many miles as possible. $2,000 - $3,000 does not buy much in the way of a used truck.

To me it is better to buy a new truck that averages out to $2,500 a year over the life that I have that truck then to keep buying someone else's used piece of junk truck. Most people sell an auto when there is a problem with it. Auto's cost to much just sell them because they got tired of owning them.
I agree and disagree both. So I'll give you my opinion, and note I have no bad feelings about yours. Both of my parents change vehicles every couple of years as well as many others I know. Not everyone, but there ARE a number of people that get tired of vehicles and just want something different or newer, so I disagree with your statement. I do agree with the part that many people sell them when they have their problems. I obviously decided I'm going to ride mine out for a while because I winded up getting another mower. My garage is full of nothing but mowers, blowers, and trimmers. Being a solo operator, I shouldn't have to worry about break downs with equipment. I have two walk behinds now, a 22", a 30" Turf Master, a Reel Mower, two trimmers, and edger, and two blowers, new saws (chain and hedge), and an old high mileage truck. So I guess I have enough equipment to make money with until I decide to buy me a new truck. I understand what you saying about the life of a truck vs. cost. I believe the newer truck is better in the long run, but many people like myself don't want to shell out the cash for a new truck. I'm perfectly happy shelling out half the cost because the vehicle was pulled off the lot and drove 35k and the big money guy decided he wanted something new again.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I agree and disagree both. So I'll give you my opinion, and note I have no bad feelings about yours. Both of my parents change vehicles every couple of years as well as many others I know. Not everyone, but there ARE a number of people that get tired of vehicles and just want something different or newer, so I disagree with your statement. I do agree with the part that many people sell them when they have their problems. I obviously decided I'm going to ride mine out for a while because I winded up getting another mower. My garage is full of nothing but mowers, blowers, and trimmers. Being a solo operator, I shouldn't have to worry about break downs with equipment. I have two walk behinds now, a 22", a 30" Turf Master, a Reel Mower, two trimmers, and edger, and two blowers, new saws (chain and hedge), and an old high mileage truck. So I guess I have enough equipment to make money with until I decide to buy me a new truck. I understand what you saying about the life of a truck vs. cost. I believe the newer truck is better in the long run, but many people like myself don't want to shell out the cash for a new truck. I'm perfectly happy shelling out half the cost because the vehicle was pulled off the lot and drove 35k and the big money guy decided he wanted something new again.
thats not the case around here, people want just as much for those as brand new. it was true 8 years ago but not anymore. for diesel at least.. rarely look at gas trucks..
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer