Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did not mean to be harsh. I am however wise to the idea that it is not reasonable nor advisable to push zoysia to be as green as say, Bermuda or St Augustine. Another thing I can offer is that zoysia showing signs of stress from low mowing is probably not getting enough N. The flip side to the low mow and desert lawns I speak of are the recently installed El Toro lawns. They do get watered, rotary mowed twice a month, and minimal fertilizer. Until the Large Patch and leaf spot catches them, they look ok. If I come in and mow those lawns at 1/2-5/8 with my reel, they are going to need a lot more N and K than what they are getting. P will also be needed if none of the fertilization was done with AG grade 16-15-15, which is the norm for lawn fertilizer in Hawaii. Substituting Fe for N does not work either. I pay attention to how the grass is reacting to both the weather and my mowing practices. A lawn that does not produce at least 1/2-3/4 of growth in 7 days and is not on Primo is a red flag for me. These lawns are already on minimal irrigation. Drought or no drought, the water bill for irrigating 2000 sq ft of grass is around $200 per month. Homeowners do not allow luxurious irrigation.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't speak for all zoysia cultivars, but empire does not need a ton of N or quick release N. What happens is trying to mow a jungle. Palm/ornamental blends are great on Empire as they are typically 50% SR with great minor packages. I put some 13-3-13 palm blend down on a lawn I aerified and topdressed and a week later nice green but not a ton of top growth and we have been getting rain just about every day here. Imo, at least for the Zoysia varieties here you can sub in milogonite in between fertilizations for a nice green but not a ton of vertical growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let growth rate be the guide. The only slow growing zoysia I have seen is zoysia tenufolia, which is used more as a ground cover in rock gardens. The lawn varieties are very water and temperature responsive. Warm weather combined with a lot of rain will give you Jurassic Park unless N is limited. Putting on a full lb of N in any form on zoysia is not a good idea unless it is a grow in. However, this is all about managing expectations. People get told very early by me that bermuda and St Augustine are inherently greener. I can get zoysia super green and be able to mow it on a 7 day schedule, but that involves Primo at 150% of fairway rates every 30 days.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get where you are coming from, I wasn't meaning at all I was going to rule out putting Nitrogen down at all. I may have put it in context wrong, but I meant to say I plan to quit throwing things at it chasing that "dark" green color, that may not benefit me in the long run. I've come to realize the "darker" green I chase, the more issues I run into. I'd rather have a bright green healthy lawn, then a dark green un-healthy lawn! I wish I had went with an irrigation system from day one, although it's not big, I still find it being a hassle to mess with hand sprinklers on a weekly basis. I meant to get the neighbors yards in the picture of this one, didn't realize it until I uploaded it. Everything around our lawn is brown from the drought.

It's been about 5-6 days from the heavy Aeration / Composting. The lawn was looking really thinned out on the day of aeration to the point to where you could see large gaps between all grass. After about 5-6 days you can see it's filling in nicely. Hasn't completely filled in, but I think in about another week or two she'll be there and you can see from the whole picture, all the brown areas are almost completely filled in with new green shoots.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I get where you are coming from, I wasn't meaning at all I was going to rule out putting Nitrogen down at all. I may have put it in context wrong, but I meant to say I plan to quit throwing things at it chasing that "dark" green color, that may not benefit me in the long run. I've come to realize the "darker" green I chase, the more issues I run into. I'd rather have a bright green healthy lawn, then a dark green un-healthy lawn! I wish I had went with an irrigation system from day one, although it's not big, I still find it being a hassle to mess with hand sprinklers on a weekly basis. I meant to get the neighbors yards in the picture of this one, didn't realize it until I uploaded it. Everything around our lawn is brown from the drought.

It's been about 5-6 days from the heavy Aeration / Composting. The lawn was looking really thinned out on the day of aeration to the point to where you could see large gaps between all grass. After about 5-6 days you can see it's filling in nicely. Hasn't completely filled in, but I think in about another week or two she'll be there and you can see from the whole picture, all the brown areas are almost completely filled in with new green shoots.

If a customer demanded a dark green they would be tossed. Green is green. I've seen empire zoysia pretty green before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
If a customer demanded a dark green they would be tossed. Green is green. I've seen empire zoysia pretty green before.
Posted via Mobile Device

And green is better then the brown areas that I did have.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with you. Someone asking for something unmaintainable would get $tcanned. "No soup for you!" What otherwise takes care of that is the idea of three mowings per week to keep up with the excessive growth.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I'm with you. Someone asking for something unmaintainable would get $tcanned. "No soup for you!" What otherwise takes care of that is the idea of three mowings per week to keep up with the excessive growth.
Yup, I don't have the time nor patience to deal with demands like that. I can handle picky, particular, or semi anal...but there is a line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My client base is the picky. I differentiate between wanting high quality work and demanding something that is not in their best interest long term. Overfeeding a lawn in the name of making it green now falls in the latter category.