Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
B.C.S. [that's "Best Case Scenario"] is to make your best efforts to set up to run from M-Thu, and then you can keep Fri & Sat open as "swing" days to make up for rain, breakdowns and holidays.
^this.

4 tens and you are never behind.

whenever I run 4 tens I never miss a week.

try and mow 5 days a week and its a constant catch up game.

I recall when I made the switch, I had all those "I have to be mowed on friday" people.

Well I can put you on thursday after noon… NO FRIDAY!
Good bye.

Never looked back. best thing I ever did.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I run through Friday. What broke the camels back was a week of 4 days of rain, then my employee took 2 weeks of vacation to see extended family "which he really needed" then had an alternator blow on my truck mid afternoon 30 miles from real civilization.... The rain week I just skip and bagged small lawns that looked like crap, and then when my alternator blew I had a couple of Thursday-Friday clients get pushed to Monday because I planned to have off that Sunday. The people who are on my thurs-fri list want their lawn mowed by sat come hell or high water. I do understand, but if it's not a vacation house and you work 7 days a week (especially weekends), be a little flexible. I just hired on another employee and my other guy will be back so it should be smooth sailing from here on out, but if like to be able to communicate with my clients better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Instead of hiring production guy, hire a part time office lady to make all those calls/contacts for you?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
^this.

4 tens and you are never behind.

whenever I run 4 tens I never miss a week.

try and mow 5 days a week and its a constant catch up game.

I recall when I made the switch, I had all those "I have to be mowed on Friday" people.

Well I can put you on Thursday after noon… NO FRIDAY!
Good bye.

Never looked back. best thing I ever did.
GREAT POINT!!!! And to that end, I have come across quite a few LCO's that say that they found that they could actually get MORE production done working 4 10-hour days, instead of the standard five 8 hr days. And it ends up being a win-win situation, because the employees love the 3-day weekends!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Instead of hiring production guy, hire a part time office lady to make all those calls/contacts for you?
Hold on, he's saying he can't get all production done in a timely fashion and you say add administration personnel?

We mow in the rain, no questions asked. Rain suits stay in the enclosed trailers, just takes longer. If a client fires us for weather, we just say thanks (for being unreasonable). We keep an extra truck around in case one of our main trucks goes down. You might consider it too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Hold on, he's saying he can't get all production done in a timely fashion and you say add administration personnel?

We mow in the rain, no questions asked. Rain suits stay in the enclosed trailers, just takes longer. If a client fires us for weather, we just say thanks (for being unreasonable). We keep an extra truck around in case one of our main trucks goes down. You might consider it too.
Posted via Mobile Device
You also only go like 5 miles from the shop. I have 4 trucks, I just had no way to get to it. I was alone that day. If I just mowed in the rain then id never have issues. I guess I should consider doing that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
GREAT POINT!!!! And to that end, I have come across quite a few LCO's that say that they found that they could actually get MORE production done working 4 10-hour days, instead of the standard five 8 hr days. And it ends up being a win-win situation, because the employees love the 3-day weekends!!!
I work 10 hrs min. One guy works 4 10's and another part time guy who works 10-15 hr days 3-4 days a week and then I'll pick up what's left if there is any.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd much rather have a automated system for this. If he or she calls then the customer asks questions they don't know the answer to. So they are no better than an automated system except more expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device