Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Repower BigDog R748 or trade for 2000hr Gravely

I have a 2yr old Big Dog R748 with a 21hp single cylinder Briggs & Stratton Intek XRD that I just replaced the head gasket for the second time. It cuts St. Augustine and all others fine except bahai. It leaves bahai stalks and I have to cut it twice and tends to bog easily. Translates to lost time and money. Money is tight as I am trying to get business expanded and I just financed a house. I have the option to repower the r748 with a used 22hp twin B&S (no punn intended) with low hours for about $400 or trade it for a used Gravely 260 with approximately 2000 hrs on a 24 or 26hp Kawasaki. I know the Gravely was serviced regularly and I know who owned it before trading in to dealer. The 2000hrs scare me. Please help. Any input is welcomed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
I have a 2yr old Big Dog R748 with a 21hp single cylinder Briggs & Stratton Intek XRD that I just replaced the head gasket for the second time. It cuts St. Augustine and all others fine except bahai. It leaves bahai stalks and I have to cut it twice and tends to bog easily. Translates to lost time and money. Money is tight as I am trying to get business expanded and I just financed a house. I have the option to repower the r748 with a used 22hp twin B&S (no punn intended) with low hours for about $400 or trade it for a used Gravely 260 with approximately 2000 hrs on a 24 or 26hp Kawasaki. I know the Gravely was serviced regularly and I know who owned it before trading in to dealer. The 2000hrs scare me. Please help. Any input is welcomed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Please...Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2000 hours would scare me too. My Z is 10 years old with 1000 hours on it. At this point, if my initial cost was 10,000.00 less any maintenance, fuel and etc., the unit has cost me 10.00 an hour to operate, but, it makes me 60.00-100.00 an hour when it is working. I can't afford not to have a Zero turn mower. It has only given me a few problems through the years but, that is to be expected. That is the reason I have 2 Z's so I am never out of business. Moving forward. You know what you have with the other that needs repaired, hopefully it is paid for. Repair that and keep as a back up, then go get a new or gently used mower that you can depend on. IMO 2,000 hours, you are just trading one set of problems for another. You have to have dependable equipment to pay for that new home and everything else. Equipment needs come first, everything else falls under that. Not an easy sell for a spouse. It's taken 20 years but, mine finally got it. My last big purchase was a gently used 60" name brand mower, with a triple bagger. 165 hours barely broke in for 6,000.00. about 2 years old. I've had it 2 years with zero problems. A new X Mark same set up was almost 14,000.00. Even I, could not justify that for my set up. Seek and ye shall find.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you. I was able to keep the r748 and aquire the gravely 252. The owner made a service deal with me in exchange for it. He also sold my Dixon 4515 that needed a middle spindle so I could purchase a 34" in Goat walk behind. Which allows me to get into tight spots and back gates. Have had both since Tuesday and used both on my days off with out any issues. The performance of the Gravely is awesome. It would be unfair to compare it to the Big Dog R748. I love my Big Dog and plan to repower it in the future. For now it serves as a secondary mower. Even picked up a new client. Business is growing one satisfied customer at a time. Thank you for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the motor was serviced and everything else on it the Gravely you can get another 2,000 out of it, seen models like mine past 4,000 on original motors, my deck has a lot of wear underneath for 1,700 hrs though welds are failing.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)