Register free!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
I understand the ease of training guys in a ground logic. But I would take a z over a ground logic. Have one ground logic and it is repair prone. Z are tanks and run and run. Just bought two new Zsprays
Posted via Mobile Device
ditto
Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
I understand the ease of training guys in a ground logic. But I would take a z over a ground logic. Have one ground logic and it is repair prone. Z are tanks and run and run. Just bought two new Zsprays
Posted via Mobile Device
You can't sacrifice equipment quality for the sake of a slow learning employee. Otherwise, neither of them will get much done.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
You can't sacrifice equipment quality for the sake of a slow learning employee. Otherwise, neither of them will get much done.
I hope you know I am smarter then this Ted.

The last 3 years we have gone from 800 customers to 3400. This is all on the backs of our ground logics. I can assure you that we work on our GL more then our Z, but it also a totally different machine. But they are 2-3 grand less, fit everywhere and are much easier to train and run. The positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to the GL or I wouldn't have 7 or them (updated 4 units just this season).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I hope you know I am smarter then this Ted.

The last 3 years we have gone from 800 customers to 3400. This is all on the backs of our ground logics. I can assure you that we work on our GL more then our Z, but it also a totally different machine. But they are 2-3 grand less, fit everywhere and are much easier to train and run. The positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to the GL or I wouldn't have 7 or them (updated 4 units just this season).
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh no Creech, I know you're not stupid.

For one thing, you rotate out your machines as they wear to keep repair costs down. I keep mine for a very long time.

All I was saying is sacrificing quality on equipment should not be done because an employee doesn't have the capability of grasping a concept that takes a bit more thinking.

I see a lot of "knuckle draggers" hire in around here...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-13-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Oh no Creech, I know you're not stupid.

For one thing, you rotate out your machines as they wear to keep repair costs down. I keep mine for a very long time.

All I was saying is sacrificing quality on equipment should not be done because an employee doesn't have the capability of grasping a concept that takes a bit more thinking.

I see a lot of "knuckle draggers" hire in around here...
We have rotated our equipment every two years since we have started. We even kept our Z's rotated.

The guys I sell then to love them. I have 3 machines to update this winter and all 3 of my used machines are already spoken for.

Now we have has our Z max for 5 years now but that is because it was a custom built machine and I paid quite a bit so didn't feel I could swap it out. But I will say the Z is a much better built machine.

I hear what your saying but we can get 10-15 ac per day per machine. Even though the Z is a better machine you you can't get that much more done with a Z.

The reason we love the GL is no worries with gates, easier to train on and run and the biggest reason of all is we want to haul on racks.

If I was a one man band I would run both a Z spray and a GL
Use the Z on all open lawns and use the GL on lawns with gates and smaller lawns. But as a larger LCO I can't do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RC has to buy new stuff every 2 years cuz he does not maintain his equipment. (If anybody believes this, I would be shocked)

I'm more like Ted -- just sayin' GO RAZORBACKS!!

Rodney -- remember that 1st T3000 model I got in April 2008? She's still running strong. Has all the current upgrades. Mike from Milwaukee (East Side Lawn Care) called me yesterday. Same engine & tranny. He just maintains it. cool beans
Old 09-14-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
RC has to buy new stuff every 2 years cuz he does not maintain his equipment. (If anybody believes this, I would be shocked)

I'm more like Ted -- just sayin' GO RAZORBACKS!!

Rodney -- remember that 1st T3000 model I got in April 2008? She's still running strong. Has all the current upgrades. Mike from Milwaukee (East Side Lawn Care) called me yesterday. Same engine & tranny. He just maintains it. cool beans
Everyone I know in the LCO business keeps their ride ons (all brands) for several years. I know a guy that is still running 2005 PG Magnum.
I could do the same but just started rolling them and have never looked back.

Maybe it's just the farmer in me. For an example most guys roll their $350,000 combines every two years with 400 hours. And a combine has a typical life expectancy of 20-25 years
Or 3000+ hours.

Now I can't roll my combine that quick, but they are not getting rid of them because they are junk. Just updating models and hoping take advantage of new updates and reduce possible maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Rod, with belts that last a manufacturer stated max 200 hrs, new machines surely don't get you out of mechanical issues.

We keep buying more, will have 7 too at year end for similar reasons. However if it wasn't for Buckeye Power Sales in moraine as our dealer, I would have given up on them as quickly as we tried our first machine. We have more hours on their loaner than some of our own machines.

Again, the manufacturer seems indifferent to honoring warranty items in a timely fashion(if at all) and doesn't seem to care about build quality either. Our dealer cares and makes things right but if gl made a decent machine they wouldn't have to apologize and make things right so often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Sorry Rod, with belts that last a manufacturer stated max 200 hrs, new machines surely don't get you out of mechanical issues.

We keep buying more, will have 7 too at year end for similar reasons. However if it wasn't for Buckeye Power Sales in moraine as our dealer, I would have given up on them as quickly as we tried our first machine. We have more hours on their loaner than some of our own machines.

Again, the manufacturer seems indifferent to honoring warranty items in a timely fashion(if at all) and doesn't seem to care about build quality either. Our dealer cares and makes things right but if gl made a decent machine they wouldn't have to apologize and make things right so often.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would be lying if I said we didn't work on all or our equipment from time to time. I don't every guy any equipment without planning on working on it.

We did have serveral issues this spring with carburators...and I was ticked off bad, but come to find out we had a issue with our gas. Since I changed our source of gas it fixed it.

As far as belts on our older units we used to have a few issues. Our newer machines have had almost no issues that I am aware of.

We have had more issues with flat tires this year than anything. I am about ready to put spare tires on all trucks.