Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

vs. too many eggs
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The price for the job was preset from the guy I bought a business from at 1800. I put on about 60 hours her full time employee had around 20 hours in helping me. Some of my 60 hours were from my brother that helps me sometimes but I had 45 of my own hours in. I did the math the other day I forget the numbers.

I'm with you Darrell I bust ass to get all of mine done weather it is by the hour or set price. I load and unload my leaf loader by myself in minutes no a easy task for 150 lb guy. I do around 7500 of leaves solo and part time. I'm tired and just two more to go. Good night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good night. Man hours are man hours ans customers are customers. Go figure.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

!

I wish I could get that kind of $$ for a 5 acre property of leaves. Around my way that price is very steep. If you can get it good for you! What you don't want to do is price yourself out of getting other work from the account or losing it all together. Not being a smart... but I have to say 80hrs for a 5 acre property doesn't sound right, even doing it solo.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The way to get good money is to charge a little extra each mowing.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
I wish I could get that kind of $$ for a 5 acre property of leaves. Around my way that price is very steep. If you can get it good for you! What you don't want to do is price yourself out of getting other work from the account or losing it all together. Not being a smart... but I have to say 80hrs for a 5 acre property doesn't sound right, even doing it solo.
Trust me it's a 80 hour job!! The only thing that would make it quicker is a bigger vac and truck. 5 acres is nothing it's the 500 plus bushes that need to be cleaned out twice. I don't think I mentioned the 80 hours is for two clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Trust me it's a 80 hour job!! The only thing that would make it quicker is a bigger vac and truck. 5 acres is nothing it's the 500 plus bushes that need to be cleaned out twice. I don't think I mentioned the 80 hours is for two clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is my favorite part of cleanups . We have properties with juniper and very mature Rhodi's. We call them garbage collectors, we get at least 2-3 hoppers of leaves from them alone.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The way to get good money is to charge a little extra each mowing.
Yep. For the customers with many leaves, I mow weekly into November. Once the ground gets to damp and soft for my bigger mowers I schedule the final clean up. I get extra money from the surcharge on the weekly mowings and final cleanup. It is a win-win for everyone, the customer gets a decent looking yard throughout the fall. I get to pocket some extra cash from the mowings and the final clean up is made alot easier as the bulk of the leaves are already gone. It is just a matter of blowing out the beds and some other areas and throwing them in the back of a dump trailer. I turn down many leaf jobs from people that do absolutely nothing with the leaves until the leaves are all down and call wanting them all cleaned up at once. I am usually priced too high for those types of jobs, so why bother. Those types of people in my area are not the type of customers I want. Good customers want a decent looking yard throughout the fall. I don't need someone telling me to stop servicing their property at the first frost and then calling me a month later for a large cleanup, then complaining about the price when it would of been cheaper just to have me mow for another month.
Posted via Mobile Device