Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Garden hose over new grass seed

Hey folks,

Forgive me for this stupid question. Yesterday I planted grass seed for a new 5000 sq ft lawn. My town doesn't allow underground sprinklers, so I ran garden hoses attached to sprinklers and a timer. I had to put the sprinklers in the center of the lawn in order to reach all spots. What's the best strategy for dealing with the garden hose because I'm assuming when the grass is all grown, I'm going to have a bare dirt line where the garden hose was. I can move the hose every day by a few inches to try to avoid it if that'll do the trick? My fear there is that I might end up with many bare dirt lines instead of just the one. Or I can just leave the hose in one spot and assume it'll fill in within a couple of months? What do you think? Does it even matter?

This is in MA, on a sunny lawn. The seed is the Sunny Seed Mix from SeedSuperStore.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The hose is the least of the problem and should fill in once the lawn gets going... you'd do more damage walking around on it moving the hose...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I need to come up with a sprinkler system for my 15k lawn in a few weeks when I renovate it. I was thinking about getting some steel or aluminum stock and making a loop with stick to stick in the ground to set the hose on I figure 8 of them would work fine, for 3 sprinklers and 2 hoses ran from 2 sources one on the side of the house and one from my garage. I won't have to walk on the lawn and I wouldn't have to move them. I guess I'll find out if I have sufficient coverage.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest "spike-bases" for your sprinkler heads. Use the pass-through type. With good water pressure...each one will cover an 80 foot circle. In theory, you should be able to run two at a time. Then have the timer begin the back yard after the front shuts itself off, (to keep the pressure high).

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1211