Register free!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
Curious, I do not live in Jersey, but what are their N limits? States I have worked in do not regulate actual N.
That information is included in the links I posted. To summarize it is:
New Jersey law restricts a single application to no more than 1 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet and nitrogen fertilizer must contain sufficient slowly available nitrogen to limit the portion of water soluble nitrogen to 0.7 pound.Note that State law restricts the annual amount of N applied to 4.25 pounds per 1,000 square feet.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Amount Spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
So you think I should spread 3.5 lbs per 1k sq ft. And will have a soil test done.
There is a difference between lbs of active ingrediant and lbs of nitrogen. By state law you cannot apply more than 0.7 lbs of nitrogen per 1000 sq. ft. per application and no more than 4.25 lbs of nitrogen per year.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been staying out of this one, but there's just too much carp to ignore.

1) OP didn't tell what rates he was targeting. Was this just an omission on his part? Hopefully the sales rep he got the program from didn't just say to use 19-0- w/Dimension but not suggest a rate. But, this is common.

2) Did any of the NJ posters here actually do the math for these apps? It's not as egregiously against the law as you think.

3) Why the spread rate and calibration dsicussion? Shouldn't we be talking about fert rates and ai rates instead?

Let's look at the OP's stated program and figure out his N rates using his stated calibration of 4# material/M:

Apr: 19-0-6 w/ Dimension: 0.76#N/M
May: 9-0-7 w/ Lockup (but actually used 19-0-6): 0.76#N/M
July: 18-0-8: 0.72#N/M
September: 18-0-3: 0.72#N/M
November: 25-0-6 w/lime (is fert+lime actually sold as a combo?): 1#N/M

So, each app is >0.7#N/M, but not by much. Worth a word, but not worth the lynching you guys are giving him. The yearly total is 3.96#N/M, which is less than the 4.25# you guys are talking about.

So, what's the lesson? Tell us what rates you're targeting and we won't have stupid discussions about if you're using too much or not.