Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just saw this post and thought I would chime in. I'm a former Gravely owner, actually (2) Gravely's the old one and a new one. As far as talk about dealers, I guess it's different everywhere you go. My experience shopping around for Scags, I had similar experiences you are having (Poor Customer Service) on the dealers part. I purchased my Gravely from an EXCELLENT dealer with EXCELLENT customer service and couldn't me more satisfied. My Gravely dealer has went out of their way in every way to satisfy me. So when you speak about dealers, remember there's always one bad apple in the bunch. As far as Gravely, we all know they have excellent customer service, but you can't compare apples and oranges, the manufacture to the dealer in my opinions, because there's always spoiled apples in the bunch. Look at the manufacture as the orange and the dealer as the apple. You have a little more "patience" then me, because I wouldn't allow people to get ripped off, I would have left negative reviews, posting on the BBB site, filing complaints with the manufacture, and so forth. So rather then him "banning" you from the store he should be thanking you for having so much patience. As for selling 2012's on the floor, there's nothing wrong with that. But when you sell an old mower and don't disclose is it's an "old mower" with no updates to someone who doesn't know any better, that's bad business. It'll come back and bite him and I can ASSURE you of that. My advice to you, forget keeping it local. If you need a washer, a bolt, an engine, or a 2.6 oz. bottle of premix, buy it somewhere else. I believe in buying USA, I believe in giving more Americans jobs, I believe in helping the local economy, but there's a difference in supporting poor unethical people and supporting honest ethical people. Congratulations, enjoy your new mower! I'm very glad you got everything worked out, and I HONESTLY hope you stay away from that dealer and recommend everyone else do the same. Before I found my local dealer (Hill Country) big thanks to them I was dealing with another local company. I got fed up with their mess and drove all the way to Waco, Texas (2 hours) away to pick up my Turf Master, just to avoid dealing with the pos dealer who treating me the same way they treated you. It cost me more in gas, more wear on the truck, more time, but I supported an ethical, reasonable, and honest dealer and I made sure to let them know how much I appreciated their business. Big thanks to Landscape Supply and Texas Mower Parts in Waco also!

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Just saw this post and thought I would chime in. I'm a former Gravely owner, actually (2) Gravely's the old one and a new one. As far as talk about dealers, I guess it's different everywhere you go. My experience shopping around for Scags, I had similar experiences you are having (Poor Customer Service) on the dealers part. I purchased my Gravely from an EXCELLENT dealer with EXCELLENT customer service and couldn't me more satisfied. My Gravely dealer has went out of their way in every way to satisfy me. So when you speak about dealers, remember there's always one bad apple in the bunch. As far as Gravely, we all know they have excellent customer service, but you can't compare apples and oranges, the manufacture to the dealer in my opinions, because there's always spoiled apples in the bunch. Look at the manufacture as the orange and the dealer as the apple. You have a little more "patience" then me, because I wouldn't allow people to get ripped off, I would have left negative reviews, posting on the BBB site, filing complaints with the manufacture, and so forth. So rather then him "banning" you from the store he should be thanking you for having so much patience. As for selling 2012's on the floor, there's nothing wrong with that. But when you sell an old mower and don't disclose is it's an "old mower" with no updates to someone who doesn't know any better, that's bad business. It'll come back and bite him and I can ASSURE you of that. My advice to you, forget keeping it local. If you need a washer, a bolt, an engine, or a 2.6 oz. bottle of premix, buy it somewhere else. I believe in buying USA, I believe in giving more Americans jobs, I believe in helping the local economy, but there's a difference in supporting poor unethical people and supporting honest ethical people. Congratulations, enjoy your new mower! I'm very glad you got everything worked out, and I HONESTLY hope you stay away from that dealer and recommend everyone else do the same. Before I found my local dealer (Hill Country) big thanks to them I was dealing with another local company. I got fed up with their mess and drove all the way to Waco, Texas (2 hours) away to pick up my Turf Master, just to avoid dealing with the pos dealer who treating me the same way they treated you. It cost me more in gas, more wear on the truck, more time, but I supported an ethical, reasonable, and honest dealer and I made sure to let them know how much I appreciated their business. Big thanks to Landscape Supply and Texas Mower Parts in Waco also!
Yeah it would be easy with a backup unit to travel like that, yes I could of done much worse let alone tell Echo and others I have no access to product and BBB but Karma comes around. Really not that type of person but I had to let Gravely know and I have already seen some changes just from when I went to pick up my new JD yesterday passing by.

Mary helped so much she is excellent as all Gravely support is, she was there for me on the phone anytime.

Unfortunately probably going to have to switch to Sthil trimmers now as well since I am not going to do business with him anymore. I love my Echo products heck I was fixing to spend over a grand on PAS series there lol. There won't be a penny out of my pocket go in there again can promise you that.

But I will say I have respect for every one of the guys that work there for him just not him they are all great employees nice and always kind. Them not knowing the current product is a direct effect of how he does not inform them on any new updates, and their work space is way to small, I know a lot of them personally and they are some greatest employees one could ask for and I don't think they get anywhere near the appreciation they deserve.

After Gravely got involved yes he was willing to work with me, he knows the products well and knew what was up to date, he does his research and is smart about things. He found this post and figured out it was me without me even mentioning anything about any of his info.

But what damage was done is done, I still love Gravely probably have another unit down the road definitely not from him.

Now I have a brand spanking new main unit. Since my Gravely took a dump or "motor" did yesterday once off season rolls around either buying new motor, or doing a rebuild and carb mod to take it from 21HP to 25HP.

John Deere usually will not touch a unit outside of their own but there are very qualified for Kawi engines, and will most likely do my rebuild for my Gravely unit I have not reached that point in my mechanic skills for motor.

Now I do have someone else our close family friends family member is also Kawi cert. mechanic, he will also do it for me if needed just not seen him lately, been to busy bringing ZTR's by the dozens for engine work, to many people running steep angles on hillsides burning one piston up when the oil goes over to down side and one piston runs dry bam.

Watch your hills slope don't ruin your motor for 2 cuts on a step hill use a trimmer or push mower folks.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)

Last edited by southerntide; 06-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.