Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response no we can't use quinclorac in New York and yes it is white clover I use 20 oz of super tri and 12 oz of the turflon per acre I do a blanket with my ground logic and make two passes houses that I've done that we're covered in clover not a problem the ones that had small patch was the problem and had to go back only weed having a problem with this year thanks again
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully you will get the root and not just a burn down. I had a lot of that burn no kill early this year and those little patches were driving me crazy as they popped back up.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

All the landscapers complaining this morning at the supply house regarding poor weed control and over all week color of the lawns we had a lot of rain in April and May here have a feeling washed it all out rough year so far
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you are not getting good coverage. Driving too fast?
The rate for Super Trimec is .75 to 1.1 or 2 to 3 pints per acre. (32 to 48 ounces per acre).
The cost is in the labor. Why kill some of the weeds? Kill'em all.

http://www.gordonsprofessional.com/search/index.php
Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You said you are making 2 passes. What spray tip are you using? Are you mixing at half the rate of the high end mix rate?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

clover killer

Here is a quick test of clover sprayed with Speedzone plus Drive. Notice in the center of the round spot--the clover is dead. Speedzone by itself is also excellent. A surfactant was included at about 1.5 percent.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I mix 20oz of the super tri and 12oz of turflon in my ride on 16 gallon tank have spray bar mounted with two red flood jet tips don't remember the number have to look On the truck but if I did my calibration right should be covering about 55,000 @.33gal per thousand I have been able to kill it but had to go back on some houses and reapply last year was only using 16 oz of super tri and had no issue and that was at 1/4gal per thousand and covered about 61,000 sq
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you are applying 0.72 oz/M Super Trimec, which is just under the low end of the label rate of 0.75, if I understand your post correctly. You may need to bump Super Trimec to 30 oz for your setup. This will get you very close to the high end of the label rate of 1.1 oz/M.

Riggle makes a good point about nitrogen. I always fertilize 5-7 days before I spray for broadleaf weeds. That is not practical for people knocking out large numbers of yards, I realize. Take a look at annual N totals on your most difficult lawns. It may pay to add another 1/2# N in late May or a September.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Here is a quick test of clover sprayed with Speedzone plus Drive. Notice in the center of the round spot--the clover is dead. Speedzone by itself is also excellent. A surfactant was included at about 1.5 percent.
Did that scorch the turf a bit or is it just the pic? Isn't drive more of a crabgrass killer? I always equated Drive to Quinclorac- am I off on that?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Correct, Drive (quinclorac) is more of a crabgrass killer, but--it also kills some types of weeds. Perhaps not permitted in New York.
So true, Speedzone at 6 times the proper rate will injure the grass. See my test from 6 weeks ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=427458

But where I used Drive and Quicksilver at 3 times label rate each--there was only slight injury. I think at label rate for Speeedzone you should be fine. If you look carefully at the clover picture, I think you can see green grass blades growing up through the dead clover. Surfactant was included.