Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tires laying grass over around perimeter

How do you guys deal with tires laying grass over say around the perimeter of a yard? After several mows it seems that the grass begins to grow sideways in the tire trans and doesn't get lifted up and cut anymore. Not really an option to make my perimeter passes in the opposite direction or I'd e blowing grass all over fences, houses, and landscaping. Some properties I could probably get away without making a pass around the perimeter but I'd be wasting a lot of time on my turns and weed whacking a lot more. Just curious if this is an issue for others too or if its something with my mower that its not picking up grass as well as it should on the trim side, which I have suspected might be the case for some time now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quit doing it, Nothing like trimming 10 feet from the perimeter lifting up the grass if needed my man.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is one reason I sometimes trim first. Usually one full width of the string is enough to get it out far enough that the mower picks it up. I use the blower to stand it up sometimes too.

I notice it happens more often when the grass is wet or extra lush. A high height of cut is another cause for me as well.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We really don't have an issue with this, as most of our southern turf around here is cut short, except for that stiff blade st Augustine, and they always grow straight. But the Bahia grass, when the weathers hot, like now, it gets thin and wilted, and they don't cut they just lay over. And having to double cut puts extra stress on the already heat stressed lawn just ruins the grass. My customers are smart enough to understand how difficult Bahia grass is to work with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I can during perimeter cut I ride the trim side wheels on curb, sidewalks,driveways to minimize the laying down effect you are speaking of. This technic won't help you along fences,house or if the levels are way off from lawn to paved surface but where you can do this you will find trimming these areas a breeze. Unlike other poster I always cut first to minimize time spent trimming plus you know exactly what you need to trim instead of trying to squeeze your mower into a fenced corner let say because you didn't trim out far enough by 1 inch. I have used my blower to pop this grass back up before cutting and it does help. All in all the time saved on areas you can mow with trim side wheel on paved surface will free up some time to spend on areas that lay down. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My lawns don't disrespect me like that but if needed I will tell the grass how it is, tell you right now it's not going to be that way.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go around the edge with a push mower in the opposite direction you "trim" with the mower.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

- get a shoot blocker so you can go opposite direction without blowing clippings in beds etc

- dont always ride right on edge , vary how far you track out from the perimeter so tires not always in same tracks
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
How do you guys deal with tires laying grass over say around the perimeter of a yard? After several mows it seems that the grass begins to grow sideways in the tire trans and doesn't get lifted up and cut anymore. Not really an option to make my perimeter passes in the opposite direction or I'd e blowing grass all over fences, houses, and landscaping. Some properties I could probably get away without making a pass around the perimeter but I'd be wasting a lot of time on my turns and weed whacking a lot more. Just curious if this is an issue for others too or if its something with my mower that its not picking up grass as well as it should on the trim side, which I have suspected might be the case for some time now
Posted via Mobile Device
Cut it shorter one time will fix it
Or mow it backwards This works at times but if you mow it shorter one time will fix it