Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Scanning through here, I see lots of those claiming solo, but working other jobs, either FT or PT. It look like there aren't many who run solo as their only focus.

And, I see lot of people saying "a helper or two here and there," "somebody to help in the Fall..." etc. These are clearly hit-miss helpers, called when needed, but aren't around for most of the time. My simple question to these situations: What do you do about insurance? What do you do about payroll? How do you register with L & I? In other words, how do you manage some of the admin piece of the arrangement. When solo, you can establish yourself as a sole proprietor, insurance for business as you being the lone entity, you have no payroll, tax matters for employees, etc. But, what about those who help out here and there? Having people work in your business, either FT or PT means lots of changes in how you establish yourself with outside agencies.

Somebody asked about body holding up after 10 years, ... actually pretty well. This is season #19. I'm 72, will be 73 in September. This is my full-time gig -- as many hours per week as I can stuff into six days. Last week, I worked two-13 hour day, a 12 hour, and an 11 hour day -- trying to catch up after rainouts. The six days accumulated over 70 hours for the six days, and I was still standing. In 19 years, I've not missed one day of work because of injury or illness. Not puffying out here, but just to say, take care of your body, get rest, and eat well (lots of food!). I'm seriously concerned about getting hurt, however -- "Accident waiting to happen." I know that any kind of a significant accident means that I'm done, never to return. Try to stay focused on the actions with on/off, up/down, holes, ditches, slippery slopes, etc. And, try to keep alert (e.g. don't put your hand under the running mower with the mind somewhere else). Clearly, I am not as flexible as a few years ago. However, I think I am much more efficient, and, hence, more productive.

Sometimes LS has threads about "What do you do for lunch," or other threads discussing dietary habits. In reading those threads, I'm surprised that some folks last even one year. Terrible eating habits!!! The body is very forgiving, but pushing to limits, and expect good performance over a long period of time -- not going to happen.
It is great that you feel pretty good at your age.But really at 72 shouldn't you be sitting back and smelling the roses instaed of putting in a 70 hr work week ? I hope to be retired by 59 which is in 4.5 yrs.I will need to do something 1 or 2 days a week for my mad money,but if I do not want to work that amount I won't.I will be puttering around on my property,traveling,fishing and hunting.Just sayin'.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Started up in Jan. 2014 & couldn't begin to imagine Solo for much longer. Just started a full-timer over Memorial Day weekend. And Yes, we did work through it. Couldn't be happier...so far.
I mean, what's the point(you &your customers) if not for mutual benefit.
I don't work till well after dark everyday too not grow. Maybe not exponentially, but why not at least a little year over year?
Of course, it's MY decision as to business decisions. As it is with any private business owner.
Can respect that since it's none of my "business" anyways.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
That depends on your definition of "good money," your lifestyle, if your spouse works, kids, etc, etc.

I'm solo, have never had more than 30 yards a week, and snow plow in the winter. I work 2-3 days a week. I sometimes do a landscape type job. In the winter I scratch my butt til it snows. I have a home. I have no debts. I have a kid and 2 step kids with 1 in college. I have no money issues at all.

So, it just depends.
When you say yards I assume residentials.Now if they were all $50 cuts that is $1500/week.Minus ins,minus SS--15%,minus gas and misc expenses,minus money for retirement,minus taxes.Then you wait until it snows.What about between snows----more scratching ?Are you really making enough money to live on ?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinlakes View Post
Started up in Jan. 2014 & couldn't begin to imagine Solo for much longer. Just started a full-timer over Memorial Day weekend. And Yes, we did work through it. Couldn't be happier...so far.
I mean, what's the point(you &your customers) if not for mutual benefit.
I don't work till well after dark everyday too not grow. Maybe not exponentially, but why not at least a little year over year?
Of course, it's MY decision as to business decisions. As it is with any private business owner.
Can respect that since it's none of my "business" anyways.
Most start ups also think they need more helpers,cause they don't have the proper equipment to do things efficiently yet, you'll quick realize steel helpers are a lot better then helpers with a mouth, business wise as well, build equity in equipment instead of giving it all away to feed someone else
Posted via Mobile Device