Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2015, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, a lady that we did a verticut last year for called me last week wanting us to schedule her in. I raised the price on that job by about $250 and they were fine with it. Pretty small yard the only hard part is going to the back with the sand. On a summer day with a lot of humidity it will wear you down. Matter of fact, when we did the job last year I SWORE it was the most humid day all of last summer. As we were winding down on the job I was struggling. Good thing it's only half a yard and about 20% of that goes in the front right next to the driveway. I took pics of that job from last year they are many pages back. Shouldn't be as bad this time either as the lawnboys last year were cutting the Bermuda at 3-4".
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Been very busy. Here is a Bermuda Renovation(Verticut/Scalp/Aerate/Topdress) we did yesterday. This lawn was being cut at 3-4". Had about 12 bags if I remember correctly of clippings/thatch/rizomes. Sold them on once a year renovation and they want me to topdress about 3 more times this summer.

This is NOT easy work. As you can see this isn't much turf. But with the heat/humidity in summer, it will wear you down.

I have a Zoysia renovation in about 2 weeks.

Here is my Diamond Zoysia lawn. We renovated it about a month ago. It's looking really nice.

Here is a Palmetto lawn I have. This is aerated once per year and imo is the reason it looks so nice. This main section only gets about 5 hours of direct sun each day. There are 2 more sections that go no direct sun at all and look great. I know a lot of the Florida guys or guys that deal with warm season grass don't believe in Aeration, but I do.
The lawn on the top is the one we are going to verticut and the one in the middle we are verticutting on Wednesday. I raised the price on that one by $125. Slowly but surely I am gaining more lawn renovation customers.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your beautiful work makes me want to cry! Hahah. The aeration looks like it is doing justice so I wouldn't disagree with that it wouldn't work. I would love to try it down the road, but it seems like it would be a ton of work on acre yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just got back yesterday afternoon. What a blessing to get away for 2 weeks. I feel refreshed and ready to go.

Have that verticut job this Wednesday and will hopefully hear back about that one account this week. My bid was $1,650/mo.

I'm also celebrating 7 years in business this Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got the verticut done today. Got it done in 4 hours (8 MH) and grossed $1,200. Not too shabby.

I found out the other day the owner of that house won't make a decision until they come back for season. Works out good cause I have plenty to get don't the next 3 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2015, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it is extremely hot out, to say the least. These past 2 weeks have been brutal. I hope everyone is staying safe out there and not overdoing it. We haven't worked a Saturday all month and will not do so until September.

Just like every year when I get back from vacation, more business seems to pop up. 2 more calls from Angie's List, one in a very upscale neighborhood. Will be bidding that one bt $400-$450/mo and we don't have to cut grass only gardening. Another one which is a little out of the way will be every 8 weeks and $300 per visit plus fert/pre-emergent which will be extra as well as palm trimming.

Taking a 4 day weekend for Labor Day. We can't work Monday in the area we work in as it is not permitted and I figured to work late Mon-Thurs of the previous week to get Friday off to. Going out of town Fri-Sun with the family which will be very nice.

I hope everyone is doing great and staying safe out there.