Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have you manually spun the blades with the blade belt off just to see if there might be a slight wobble? Maybe a wearing spindle or a warp in the deck around its mounting area? Spinning both the center and left blades should provide some insight.

Only a timed deck has the blades oriented in a continuous perpendicular fashion. With minute belt slippage they will be perpendicular to its neighbor...and then possibly parallel w/in a short amount of time, especially in thick turf. Just sayin'.

My 2-bladed mower will change pitch when the blades are (slip to) parallel - and the cut can then sometimes suffer in tall grass due to turbulence. But with your situation that stripe is always there. Dang. Is there anything dragging under the engine?? Are you using a velke?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the late response just been a little bit overloaded as of recently. Spun the blades, they seem to be perfectly level. Well you just blew my theory out of the water with the turbulence lol. No velke and as far as I can tell nothing is dragging under the engine. I think I'm going to try taking a picture of the underside and post it up here just incase I'm missing something.

This is starting to annoy me a lot more now. My stripes are getting more pronounced by this time of year and now that 3rd of center one is becoming more pronounced too on the old cuts. New cuts its just barely visable after the double cutting.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just reread the whole thread:

What blades are & were you running? Is the stripe slightly taller than the other cut areas?

Since you're using a striper, I gotta say this is really weird. Anything unusual/worn out re: your striper??

What is also weird is that I've recently seen an odd stripe in my BOP Q32's cut. I solved it today by switching from some (getting worn) G5s to a hi-lift. One other thing I did that may have corrected this was that I noticed a small amount of green buildup on the plate below my hydros...so I scraped it down. While I doubt this was THE cause, it is nevertheless a variable that is now removed.

Will try a fresh/virgin set of G5s come Monday and report back.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Regular Exmark high lift blades. The stripe on the original cut seems to be beaten down a little bit, so yes it is longer, however by the time I do my double cut everything is perfectly level, stripes still there. Striper is in perfect condition I've been all over that. I did have some of that build up on a plate in the center rear portion of the deck, scraped it off, though that section isn't lined up with the stripe at all.

The way that the grass seems to be pushed down BEFORE it is cut leads me to believe it is something in the front of the deck, however it is easy to see there is nothing there. I am considering raising my anti-scalp wheels, they're set at 2.5, just like my cuts, and I'm a little worried about some scalping but its worth a try.