Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsco226 View Post
We use snappers. Each guy mowing is a crew chief, we do not use trailers. Each truck goes out with a trimmer, mower, blower, other miscellaneous tools, and loading and unloading ramps.

We found that working in groups reduced productivity. Maybe that was due to poor management on our part, but we have definitely increased productivity using this method.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snapper Hi Vacs rock! I have a 70s one and a 2013 pro one. But the 70s one has a newer engine.

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple lawns that were too small to get my 48 or 61 on.. so for last few years been hitting them with 21". But this last week I fired up a back-up older Jake (crew-king) that has a 32" cut. The 'reverse' as so called.. is the pits but boy did it make the mowing easier. shaved some time off too, but time isn't real big factor on my end. If you have never ran a 80's Crew-king I"d say this- very close to Scag SW. I had/have them both and they are very near the same. Use same rear hubs, same drive belts, ect. Scag has bit more stout handle bars but again very close. Hard to find any anymore though. All in all- my 32" is in the mix now when possible, 21" where needed.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

We Do! We Are Currently Just A Push Mower Company. Using All 21" Mower's & A 22" John Deere Self-Propelled Mower. Hoping To Upgrade To Larger Mower's Soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know company here advertises that they only use small mowers. Its a great idea until the clients see your using large walk behinds.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
I know company here advertises that they only use small mowers. Its a great idea until the clients see your using large walk behinds.
Please define "Large walk behind"

to me a 'large' walk behind is a 52 or larger.

a 36 or 32 isn't "large"

can easily, honestly be referred to as a "small mower"
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

52 inch decks and up.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it all comes down to the area, around here 90% of residential homes are done with either a 21 mower, however I haven't seen too many LCOs using the 30" in my area. I too used to only use a 21" for the simple reason that it was the only mower that can properly cut the yards in the area, then the 30" mower was released and I knew it could be used on some but definitely not all of the yards. I recently bought a 36" Ferris Hydro but I still primarily use the 21" mower, on an average day I do about 15 lawns and use the walk behind on about 5, next year I am hoping to add the 30`exmark to the fleet, so that way I will have the best mix of mowers for the small yards I service. It all comes down to the homes you service and the size of the property and amount of obstacles and the terrain. The only zero turn or standers you see around here are used on larger commercial properties, however even those properties have many areas that still get the 21.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Local,

I don't think most guys on Lawnsite can relate to you and I. They don't have yards like you and I maintain anywhere around where they live. Most of the LCOs on this board have lawns this size everywhere in town.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Cash is nice because you don't have to go to the bank and such. But if you're saying cash is nice bc you feel you don't have to report it, this makes me sick. I report all earnings cash or check. I know some people think I'm crazy and that we get shafted by the government enough as it is. But that's not the point. The point is doing the right and honest thing. Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, you must not know where youre taxes are going.
1) Killing kids and women in war.
2) People abusing welfare.
3) CIA / FBI / DEA drug running / terrorism business
4) Lazy government workers who make a lot, get good benefits and work 2-3 hours a day or less
5) When the economy crashed, the government took our tax money and bailed out the banks, the CEO of the banks got $100 million bonus (with our taxes?!) a lot of the people working for that bank got fired...
6) Good stuff like schools, roads, paying honest people
Im not saying not to pay taxes, but I am saying there are a lot of immoral things happening with taxes that in fact you ARE supporting IF you do pay taxes. So it would be immoral to pay taxes if you are against that thing.
*I am paying 100% of my taxes and I feel bad about where it is going.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no, I don't want to use a 21" mower lol
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda