Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If your cash flow is that bad would you be better off working for another lawn company until you could save up more money?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowandblow1980 View Post
If your cash flow is that bad would you be better off working for another lawn company until you could save up more money?
Now this is a good idea! If the amount of hours you work on your clients is low enough cram them into 2 days and work for someone else the other 3 days. Save your money and buy a quality walk behind especially if mowing is your main gig. Then you'll be able to smack those 13 houses off in 1 day by yourself if travel time isn't that bad. In return freeing up more time to either build your clientele or work another day for someone else. As for your original problem sorry to hear but breakdowns happen and lessons that are learned the tough way easily stick in your mind. Get your back up mower and put money aside always!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My first two years I had a PT job evenings while I landscaped during the day.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
My first two years I had a PT job evenings while I landscaped during the day.
This is also a good idea. Find a second or third shift job to help pay bills and buy better equipment.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were in your boots I'd get a part time job for an income to pay bills and to put torwards equipment. Maintaining 13 accounts with another job shouldn't be hard to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above. Working for someone else I think would be the best thing you could do. Save up cash and leave on good terms with the owner. Not only will you be able to add up cash flow to start your business, it's a win, win situation. Not saying you need to improve, but there's always room for improvement. You work for someone else who's established, doing 15-20 lawns a day, you'll pick-up experience real fast, assuming you find someone that trains you right. Not only that, you'll see more of the business side.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

Just jumping in late to say that in any business that depends on equipment, and you only have one piece of equipment, it's just got to be a part of your research when you set up to find a shop that can rent you a replacement and figure the cost of that. It's a good idea (I must be the 800th person to say this) to have a contingency fund for things like this. If you need a part time gig in order to save the contingency fund, so be it. Nowadays, people who have only one job are the oddballs.

Watch a 2-minute demo!

Email: ryan@mhelpdesk.com
Web: www.mhelpdesk.com
Phone: 888-558-6275