Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You got it. Upstream of the meters is purveyor turf, even on private property, so no one gets to throw a hissy over a shared supply line. (and if it was going to be an issue, there exists a process to add a new supply line, air-missile-ing from basement to street ~ thousands not really being needed to be spent at the very onset)

Dual metering is not uncommon in homes where the water meter reading is used to calculate a sewerage fee. A second meter is obtained for irrigation use, so that amount of water consumption gets left out of the sewerage calculation.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot WB.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
You got it. Upstream of the meters is purveyor turf, even on private property, so no one gets to throw a hissy over a shared supply line. (and if it was going to be an issue, there exists a process to add a new supply line, air-missile-ing from basement to street ~ thousands not really being needed to be spent at the very onset)

Dual metering is not uncommon in homes where the water meter reading is used to calculate a sewerage fee. A second meter is obtained for irrigation use, so that amount of water consumption gets left out of the sewerage calculation.
Didn't I say this in the beginning?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
You got it. Upstream of the meters is purveyor turf, even on private property, so no one gets to throw a hissy over a shared supply line.
In my area, anything past the City tap is your problem. I know some people found this out to great surprise when the waterline broke in their front yard by the curb, which is technically City property and the City to them to fix it.

S.O.Contracting: Still checking out the Zurn ZW3. Checked with Sprinkler Warehouse and the manufacturer, both of course gave satisfactory answers, which you'd expect, but very reassuring. Anybody else had experience with it; http://www.zurn.com/Pages/ProductDet...NodeKey=414247 , drop me a line. My concern is the CFM drop, which on paper is a little worrisome, but the rep says not an issue, SW says no bring backs and has been selling them for 5 years. I am going to try to check locally though with my suppliers. They generally give me the skinny on whats what.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9093 View Post
In my area, anything past the City tap is your problem. I know some people found this out to great surprise when the waterline broke in their front yard by the curb, which is technically City property and the City to them to fix it.

S.O.Contracting: Still checking out the Zurn ZW3. Checked with Sprinkler Warehouse and the manufacturer, both of course gave satisfactory answers, which you'd expect, but very reassuring. Anybody else had experience with it; http://www.zurn.com/Pages/ProductDet...NodeKey=414247 , drop me a line. My concern is the CFM drop, which on paper is a little worrisome, but the rep says not an issue, SW says no bring backs and has been selling them for 5 years. I am going to try to check locally though with my suppliers. They generally give me the skinny on whats what.
Wouldn't a simple ball valve in a box do the job? Works in my part of the world.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9093 View Post

Watts has the TWS shutoff valve if you want a comparison. None of them are as loss-free as a full-port ball valve, but they don't have to be.

Even though the upstream (of the water meter) supply line is the property owner's maintenance problem, the purveyors have a say in the plumbing details, such as no solder joints permitted, since an upstream leak loses water that isn't going to get paid for, as it's unrecorded by the meter.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Wouldn't a simple ball valve in a box do the job? Works in my part of the world.
No. In freezing climates (Midwest), the main shut off has to be in conditioned space.