Register free!

Old 02-21-2015, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

https://vimeo.com/120242238

hi Ron,

The video shows a valve I'm having problems with. Everything seems to B ok without cracking open the bonnet yet. already did a manual external bleed to flush out any debris. made sure flow control was throttle down to appropriate level. That seemed to help the problem a little bit. Appreciate your help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2015, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Link to video and video attached

Ron,

Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/120242238

Video attached.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.34EDC743-9327-4AE8-8CC9-6B4819E3147B.MOV (1.18 MB, 21 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/120242238
Video attached.
Thank you for your help.
Hmmm.... Give me a few more clues. I don't want to guess at this yet. Does this happen when it is closing? What is the flow and operating pressure? What is the size of the valve and the pipe in each side of the valve. This is not a new install. Has the valve always done this or did this just start out of the blue? Have there been other changes on the system?

You said you used the bleed screw, so there should be no air in the bonnet chamber. That would have been my first move, to bleed the valve as you did.

When you open the valve, inspect the filter screen that filters the water to the top of the diaphragm. If it is partially clogged, the bonnet chamber will fill with water more slowly and MAYBE the diaphragm is fluttering just as it is closing because it is closing so slowly. But here I am guessing at this like I said I would not.

This is not one of my products, but I certainly will talk to the Commercial Division Product Manager about this when you answer the questions above.

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

SMT issues

Hello Ron,

We have been installing SMT's since they came out. We are Rain Bird Select Contractors who ONLY install Rain Bird products. The first year that Rain Bird offered the SMT, we had a severe drought. It was a godsend to the customers who had them - they were the only lawns staying green. Customers with time based controllers were simply not watering enough or watering properly. I installed one at my house and was amazed to see rotor zones running for 40 minutes but it worked! My lawn stayed green. Because of this, we doubled our efforts in marketing the SMT's to customers. We were successful! We installed hundreds.

The last few years, we have gotten excess rainfall. That is when we started to have serious issues with the SMT. They were watering way too much - to the point the customers had root rot and their lawns were dying. We lost ALOT of customers due to this. We also had to replace a lot of SMT's with 4M's and refund the customer for the upgrade. In fact, I communicated yesterday via email with a customer who lost her lawn last summer. We had to replace the lawn and replace the SMT. Also last summer, I decided to manually run my own system when I saw fit. MY lawn was great. I installed an SMT at my neighbors lawn and noticed the system running excessively in the mornings. Their entire lawn was blown out with Red Thread, Dollar Spot, and Brown Patch diseases. I went over and changed it to just come on a few days a week before they lost their entire lawn - they are fertilization customers of ours and I didn't want to loose another customer.

We have expressed these issues to Rain Bird on several occasions. We have gotten some programming tips to try that haven't worked.

What now? We have installed several WM Smartlines (for larger systems - more zones that SMT of capable of) and they do not overwater. We are at the point now that we may have no other choice than to ditch the SMT. Has the controller been tweaked? I know I'm not the only contractor who had this issue.

I believe in smart technology and WANT to use Rain Bird.

Rob
www.customturfinc.com
Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sweep View Post

I believe in smart technology and WANT to use Rain Bird.
I am traveling on Canada. Give me some time to talk to the Product Manager to see what they know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
I am traveling on Canada. Give me some time to talk to the Product Manager to see what they know.
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems everyone is traveling somewhere this week. Does it put you in a bind if I get back to you next week?

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Q: Does this happen when it is closing?
A: it happens at both opening and closing. 10 loud flutters at open and three quieter ones at closing.

Q:What is the flow and operating pressure?
A: Approx. 20 GPM (I'll confirm via meter) and 50 psi (will confirm via psi guage at dynamic)

Q:What is the size of the valve and the pipe in each side of the valve.
A: PEB 1 1/2", inlet 1 1/2", outlet bushed down to 3/4"

Q:This is not a new install?
A: correct. Not a new install.

Q: Has the valve always done this or did this just start out of the blue?
A: Just started out of nowhere.

Q: Have there been other changes on the system?
A: None that I know of

I will check the diaphragm filter, but according to the information provided it sounds like since the majority of the flutter happens at valve opening that might not be the issue. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
Q: Does this happen when it is closing?
A: it happens at both opening and closing. 10 loud flutters at open and three quieter ones at closing.

Q:What is the flow and operating pressure?
A: Approx. 20 GPM (I'll confirm via meter) and 50 psi (will confirm via psi guage at dynamic)

Q:What is the size of the valve and the pipe in each side of the valve.
A: PEB 1 1/2", inlet 1 1/2", outlet bushed down to 3/4"

Q:This is not a new install?
A: correct. Not a new install.

Q: Has the valve always done this or did this just start out of the blue?
A: Just started out of nowhere.

Q: Have there been other changes on the system?
A: None that I know of

I will check the diaphragm filter, but according to the information provided it sounds like since the majority of the flutter happens at valve opening that might not be the issue. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why restrict an 1.5" valve down to 3/4"?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^^^ a very good question

Tags
rain bird , rainbird