Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMUTAH View Post
I know nothing about the industry in your area. I do, however, know business as a "greenhorn". I started (legally, by the way) my first mowing company at 16. I'm now 25. Do I still have a lot to learn? Absolutely. Do I think that I should have worked for someone else to gain the experience? Not even a little bit
Don't let anyone tell you that you're too young, or too inexperienced. Well, unless you're just not good at mowing lawns. We ALL have to start somewhere. Some people are comfortable starting with someone else, and others would rather start on their own.

I would suggest that you focus on the residential customer base first. Don't get too greedy and try to grow too quickly with apartments and commercial work. They expect a lot, pay a little, and can cause more problems during the beginning stages of your companies growth. What happens if they fire you because you just don't have the ability to do exactly what they expect? You won't work for them again. Don't burn bridges that shouldn't be crossed yet.

All that being said, good luck! Welcome to the industry. It's highly competitive, and a lot of "established" companies (old school owners that are stuck in their ways) will try to tear you down. Keep your chin up, head down, and work your ass off! Show them what the kids are made of!

Good post. Stay humble, work hard, be fair. Good things will come from it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, once again, I appreciate all the different angles and opinions. This is a great site!
Posted via Mobile Device