Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

with the exception of a few educated customers, all my accounts want to be at 2". they pay me so I cut what they want. skipping them a week allows me to get other work done.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I read the first few pages and skipped to the last here so forgive any repeats.. I think the majority of posts point you in the right direction. All I have to say is know your basic grass biology: More green=more chlorophyll=more ability to make glucose/food=more growth/healthier plant. Also leaves a little bit of water storage. During a pseudo-drought it could be just enough to keep a customer from calling and pushing their yard another week due to lack of growth. Some people say that letting grass growth taller shades out the weeds.. not sure if that's technically true, but I do know that weeds welcome adversity such as being chopped short or drought, and grass does not. The kind around here at least (midwest).

I have one lady whose husband passed away, her husband had been mowing it around 2.25-2.5 inches every 4-5 days probably, and it was nothing but struggling grass and a bunch of weeds. I eeked the cut up over the summer to 3.75 inches weekly, and over the last two years the yard has come a lonnnng way, no spraying weeds or anything. Just being nice to the grass that was there.

I also agree with the relativeness of grass height between mowers, I say just leave as much green as you can while still getting a good cut. Someone mentioned that it doesn't cut as well when you get to a certain height... depends on the type of grass, but also anytime you raise your height you're going to be cutting a thinner layer of grass. Just give it a few weeks and you'll notice the cut getting better as the grass thickens up to your HOC.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
3.5-4, shorter than 2.75 is crazy, above 4, unless your machine is great with tall heights your cut quality may suffer. Right on the money. I'll only cut shorter than 3 if it's a weekly customer that insists on it, and I will not skip after that cuz their lawn is dormant. Too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
I cut basically at 3.5" except for 2 lawns that I cut at 2.75".If I tried cutting at 4" there would be too many stragglers,plus some of my lawns would be way too thick to walk through.If heavy rain is going to be predicted I will cut at 3.25" so tht if rain holds me up the lawns do not get too far ahead of me.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I normally cut at 3.5 inches. The shortest I will mow anyone's lawn is 3 inches, and I only do that on a couple of properties, one of which is probably 80% Bermuda. When hot and dry, the deck gets raised to 4 inches on most properties. I've noticed in years past, when it was extremely dry, that I was still doing some mowing while the "cut it short" crowd was sitting at home because their lawns had gone completely dormant.

The University of Missouri extension agent had an article in the local paper a couple of years ago in which he stated fescue, the predominant turf grass in this area, should never be cut at a height of less than 3 inches, and that the cutting height should be raised during periods of drought.