Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the post I will look into the grading, maybe a belgian block border on both sides
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perfect set up for a wall and new steps but considering they have a tight budget I would just tell them to replace the rotted lumber with new lumber. I personally would not suggest regrading. It would be worse looking than it is now. That yard really needs a facelift.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Agree, this could definitely use a facelift. Grading would fix the problem, however IMO a wall would look great there with a landscape bed from the existing (top steps) to about halfway down the drive. Could do that for about 4k. On the other side just replace the timbers with a paver edge that matches the wall.

Correct me if I am wrong here. But for the wall, I would just run a line on it and cut it where you need to to make sure it is straight and then set the wall in slightly back (to allow enough room for your base) from the drive and put poly sand in the gap. Sometimes we use expansion board (black board for concrete), never used on an application like this..
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

**run a line on the driveway and cut where you need to to make sure it is straight..

Thought i'd clarify that
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could use weston wall block from belgard. Cheap block but looks great to me. You could do it for around $1,200 for a 30ft wall. Depending on what tools you have you may need to add a $100 or so for rentals.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

If you only do the wall and edging the old steps and walk will really stand out as an eye soar..I would rather they wait, save a few bucks and do the whole thing. I would try to explain to them that I want them to be happy with the results and just doing the wall will most likely leave them wishing they addressed the walk and steps.