Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy from another forum with a Gravely reel like that Loake. He uses it for his home only and really seems to like it. Never seen one in the wild though.

I think if I was looking into purchasing new, I would get a Cal Trimmer for commercial use.

The thing I like and know about Toros and why I would not shy from buying a used one is they are cleaned up really well and resold to another golf course several times. One of a golf courses most important pieces of equipment and courses don't blink at buying a lot (4-6) of used Toros that have had more than 1 previous owner. They also have that heavy metal drum which will give you a stripping effect.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

yes the toro mower is great...but if I remember the specs right it cuts from 1/64 or 1/32 of inch to .5 inches...if you want higher you are sol...I bump up to 3/4 towards late fall, could not do that with a toro...gravely now owns locke and has for a few years, the mowers are identical but one is red and one is green...it too has a second metal roller that helps with stripe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f13iQYt14Qw

one thing I do prior to mowing is I blow my lawn free of debris before I mow, gets rid of sticks stones or anything that might nick the reel blade or bed knife...trust me my neighbors think I am crazier than you must think I am now
Echo edger PE280
Echo hedge trimmer HCA266
Ryan Ren-O-Thin dethatcher
PLUGR 410H aerator
Stihl chainsaw MS 261

Last edited by tdr6874; 04-18-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr6874 View Post
yes the toro mower is great...but if I remember the specs right it cuts from 1/64 or 1/32 of inch to .5 inches...if you want higher you are sol...I bump up to 3/4 towards late fall, could not do that with a toro...gravely now owns locke and has for a few years, the mowers are identical but one is red and one is green...it too has a second metal roller that helps with stripe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f13iQYt14Qw

one thing I do prior to mowing is I blow my lawn free of debris before I mow, gets rid of sticks stones or anything that might nick the reel blade or bed knife...trust me my neighbors think I am crazier than you must think I am now
Not crazy. Crazy is the lawn guy walking every square inch of the lawn with a bucket in one hand picking up all the rocks or other hard objects. My old GM 1000 is modified to mow between 1/2-1". Does a great job. One more thing I notice is that the reels and bedknifes on Toro mowers are much harder than the landscape grade mowers. Little bits of coral or gravel spit right through without throwing off the clearances or dulling/nicking the blade. Try that with a McLane and it is backlap time.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-19-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing. You have to. Its expensive taking the mower to the shop for backlapping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you take a reel to the shop because you hit something, try a bedknife grind, spin grind, relief grind and backlap. That is $150 of work on a $700 McLane. Have to do that more than 4 times and you just bought a mower. Never mind that the mower has to be dropped off and picked up later. If a shop has a turnaround time of 24 hours or less, they probably did a spin grind and skipped 3 steps.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Locke..in atlanta...who is going to service? What if you have slopes and small hills...can the non tru cuts fill that requirement?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A roller drive mower like a McLane, Toro, or Trimmer does better on hills than a mower with a wheel drive.