Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hey Lawnkingforever, any updates on the exmark 30? My friend has one and does not like it, says its too heavy and awkward to use on tight yards, and the biggest issue he has is with it clogging up all the time, he says the side chute isn't big enough and clogs up, which in itself isn't a huge deal but then once it's clogged the mower can't mulch and amount of grass worth a darn, unless the lawn is dry, not long and almost doesn't even need cutting then it'e fine, he is regretting his purchase and said he would let me try it out cuz he is likely gonna sell it. It's hard for me to understand as there has been a lot of positive reviews about this mower, the bottom line is, if it can't cut grass than what's the point. This season has been a challenge up here, growth has been almost spring like all season and things are more wet than dry, often times he just leaves it on the trailer in favour of the 21".
Your friend needs to show you how bad it is. We have no trouble mulching. It bags as well as our honda. The cut quality is as good as any trim mower I have seen wet or dry. Sucks on hills.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the wheels don't wear that fast on the exmark like they do on the turfmaster. But I think you can put the ex30 wheels on the toro version.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hey Lawnkingforever, any updates on the exmark 30? My friend has one and does not like it, says its too heavy and awkward to use on tight yards, and the biggest issue he has is with it clogging up all the time, he says the side chute isn't big enough and clogs up, which in itself isn't a huge deal but then once it's clogged the mower can't mulch and amount of grass worth a darn, unless the lawn is dry, not long and almost doesn't even need cutting then it'e fine, he is regretting his purchase and said he would let me try it out cuz he is likely gonna sell it. It's hard for me to understand as there has been a lot of positive reviews about this mower, the bottom line is, if it can't cut grass than what's the point. This season has been a challenge up here, growth has been almost spring like all season and things are more wet than dry, often times he just leaves it on the trailer in favour of the 21".
I agree with your friend , it is too cumbersome and heavy to be a trim mower. I don't really have an issue with the discharge opening. The deal breaker for me is whether it mulches up leaves well. As we get later in the season it becomes very difficult to operate the larger mowers on some properties due to wetness. The 30" maybe helpful on these yards
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

never understood why they put a slip belt trans in this thing from the start. they should have had a 3 speed gear drive. until then i wont buy one of these
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had an issue with the slip belt on a 21", it seems like a simple setup, although the weight of the machine comes into play. I trust my friend very much and this was his honest opinion, we both live in nearby towns and deal with the same type of homes and the same conditions, he is also used to the 21" mower and around here that is about all you see cutting residential properties. I'm anxious for him to lend me it, I wanted to get one since they were introduced, I waited a year to see if any changes were made, then my friend bought one and wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it's just the year we've had with all the rain and heavy consistent growth. Not bashing the machine in any way here, as I have no first hand experience. I really had high hopes for my friend and figured he would love it and tell me to go buy one now.