Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

price increase

I charged 11 dollars an hour because it was my first year and i was only 17 and i want to increase but im wondering if increasing to 17 is too much or too little what do you guys think. I mostly did mulch and all of the customers had already ordered mulch or wanted to order it themselves. So what do you guys think I should do increase hourly or change to flat rates?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skier125 View Post
I charged 11 dollars an hour because it was my first year and i was only 17 and i want to increase but im wondering if increasing to 17 is too much or too little what do you guys think. I mostly did mulch and all of the customers had already ordered mulch or wanted to order it themselves. So what do you guys think I should do increase hourly or change to flat rates?
I'm assuming your doing this as a side gig....

Even at that, 11/hour is rediculous. You should be at 20-25 easily. But here's the issue, if you ever want to go into this as a legit business, your rates would need to significantly go up. I would start charging legit business rates, bc you are hurting yourself and others the low rates. I hope this didn't come off harsh. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All new customers should start in the 20's ,your old ones if you like them bump them up a little to 20.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

price increase

$17. $20 minimum. Don't throw away money
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on your knowledge and value... if you're worth more they won't balk at the idea of paying more... learn to 'estimate' a project in hours and multiply it by 20-25 and say the total for the job... if its low its low,,, but they may balk at $25/hr even if you're superman in the mulch beds...
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Whoa, if this kid has this as a side job and is making 17/hr cash and all he needs is a wheelbarrow and a shovel I would say 17/hr is a fair price. He is not responsible for delivery, payment of product or anything. He has zero overhead and being 17 or 18 I doubt he is what you would call "professional" so he shouldn't demand "professional" rates or even "man hour" rates. If he starts charging 25/hr he probably will price himself out of work because people will hire professional companies for a bit more. I know my company will come in and at 50-60 an hour and lay mulch and get it done in 1/2 the time and be less of a head ache because we will pick it up, deliver and not leave any excess in your driveway. We can bang out 10-yd jobs with two guys in 5 hours easy

Bottom line I would stick with the 15-17 range. You have a good thing going and for a bit you may find a successful nitch until you decide to really go pro if that's what you want to do. But if it's a side thing through college or something there is no shame in charging 17/hr to do the work. What's the alternative? Doing the same thing on a landscape crew for 10/hr.