Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

so you are thinking about a 12 foot wreath...

got the 3 wreaths in today from vickerman. I will post pics later, looked at it tonight and in the dark it is no question- I cannot sell the 12' Cheyenne. it is simply too thin. it came in 8 boxes that look like a yard display box. about 4" thick. yes, you can fluff the garland out a bit, but it just has no curve or depth at all. at best it is 7" thick fluffed, and you can't really fluff it without revealing underside. foliage is several colors of green and a few small pine cones, but you can't really tell they are pine cones on a 12' wreath. I think you could probably sell the smaller Cheyenne's, maybe 8' or under, but at this diameter you need thickness to make it not look like a pancake. and the frame is 1/4" welded steel, probably would hold up ok, but I am afraid I am sending it back and swapping for another teton. shipping on 8 boxes was also about 150.

the grand Teton is another thing entirely. impressed on some points- I don't know if this frame follows down the entire Teton line, but this is lots of 3/4 square tube steel, good decent curve to frame, and good welds. will see how it holds up to multiple ups and downs over the years. and long foliage that comes pre-fluffed in a large 65x20x42 boxes that hold 2 sections out of 6. so 3 boxes make one wreath. each section bolts to the next with 4 bolts. when fluffed, wreath is about 16" thick. about 1/2 that is frame and 1/2 that is fluffed foliage. not a fan of the single color foliage, I wish I had a couple bushels of jumbo pine cones around. and they could have added a bit more foliage. it is fairly easy to see through if not fluffed right. a white or very light color background would not be good. wrapping the back of the frame with 100 bucks worth of really cheap dark green glitter garland would solve that. the band width is 42 inches fluffed. so sizewize and proportions, a very good looking wreath. be aware that shipping is a bear on these. add 250-350ish bucks to whatever you see the price is. weight wise, I am anxious to see if two guys can easily pull this up with ropes. each section feels like about 40 pounds. so 240ish pounds. the increased price is way worth it at this size.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

so I called vickerman, and my rep is on vacation. so I talk with a lady there, tell her I can't sell this wreath, it is below my standards, etc. and she agrees to take back the Cheyenne wreath and credit me what I paid for it. but I do not get credit back on what I paid to ship it, and I have to pay to ship it back. remember I said it was a bear to ship these? maybe I can find a cheaper place, but UPS wants 160ish, and I paid 200 to vickerman to ship it to me in the first place. so a 360 buck lesson. or so it seems. plus I am out the additional expense of the teton over the price I paid for the cheyenne, AND I have to pay shipping to get the teton here. another 200. but you figure I wouldve have to pay 200 to get one or the other here anyway. but I just can't bring myself to install this even though I have it AND I am doing a bid for a department store that wants 2 wreaths tomorrow, and they mentioned 10 to 12 foot wreaths. the frame on the Cheyenne is just not going to hold up over time. I am grand Teton all the way on 8 foot and up wreaths until hydy can figure it out.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see you said 8 and up Dave, is the MN 8' not up to par?? I have a client talking about some 8 footers that he is either going to use at one of his restaurants or his home, and felt a bit reassured that if he decided to definitely do it I could get the MN
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The mn is not an 8' wreath. The metal frame is 6'. Foliage Fluffed with a tape measure, at best 84-86". They can call it what they want, but I can't sell it as an 8. That would be what I call a lie. One that I would lose in court. I call it a 7 to 7-1/2 foot. Funny how the item number called it a 6 foot 3-d, then a 7 foot 3d, now this year 8 foot 3d. Same wreath. The 5' 3d is a 60 inch frame, with fluffing it measures 72". So I have no problem selling it as a 6ft wreath. And so forth. But the worst wreath to sell is the 4 foot. It barely makes it to 46" fluffed. If the employees just put it up without fluffing really well inside and out, it is just a 3' wreath. And it is the most common wreath we sell. Not that the wreath is bad. It is good. But employees play a huge factor in how our 3' and 4' are perceived by the public. Our 5' used to be a custom wreath done just for us by hdy, I think they may offer it to others as well, 48" fame, 57" out of box, fluffs to a 64". That should be the range on all wreaths. Out of box assembled it should be close to what you call it, fully fluffed it should be several inches over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Great, I guess I better pull the HDY 8 foot wreath out of the box and see what I have. Supposed to go on the job next week.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The box I have is identical to 7' last year except for label. That one was stuffed in there, so Unless they put different foliage on it to fluff out more, they did not increase the frame. They do have some mixed noble foliage that is longer, I think it was some prototype 9'x20" garland I saw. But they never sold that garland or put that on a wreath that I know of. That's the only possibility of making the wreath bigger on same frame. I asked mike about it back in summer, and he said it is the same wreath as last year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think there is any need for me to comment, I would venture a guess that the three of us agree completely. Thanks so much Dave, this client I was referring to for me is the real deal. He initially called about wreaths, then when I talked to him last week he wants me to look at his house and do it, I already work with his interior decorator for one of his restaurants, he owns several and a well known Golf Course here, could be the ticket to one hell of a ride.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So the 12' Teton with dura lites shows up yesterday...and is not the same Teton I got without lights in the above post. I have some photos, but I have no time to go from phone to computer, etc. but the "new" wreath does not have the same longer foliage, has half the steel as the other, and is nowhere near as wide of a band. there is no longer 4 bands of square tubing rings, it is just 2. and now 2 bolts per section instead of 3. and now the foliage is traditional fluff instead of spring steel non crushable foliage.

and speaking with peter at vickerman, he seemed unaware of the changes until they opened up a last year and this year box there and looked. and of course, the box is smaller, lighter than the other ones, so while he might not have known, I guarantee you someone did.

And the wreath is acceptable for commercial use, but only just. it is basically a band width of the 7 foot mixed noble, maybe a touch more, I will check measurements tomorrow and take pics. it looks ok, but nothing picky folks will wow over, especially if they compare it to the ones we put up in another town 20 miles away.

So remember folks, if you own a company that sells to the installer, be sure and sell two versions of your top of the line product, and make sure you obviously cheapen your flagship line 35-40%, but charge the same price for it, so that it no longer impresses. who in business makes these decisions anyway?

here's how you run a company that sells goods to resellers- Have a premier product that kicks tail over everyone elses. then spec out the product and get it built. then mark up accordingly and stick with it. increase price yearly if your costs increase. improve, yes, shrink, no. then have a medium line, spec it out, be consistant year to year, sell it. increase price if your costs increase costs yearly to keep line consistant. then have a lower, cheap as you can build it. spec it. sell it. repeat.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to hydy, who in the face of everyone else in this industry, still makes the noble foliage garland exactly the same as they did 10 years ago. the 4 foot wreath is the same. the name may have changed, but the 6 foot 3d, 7 foot 3d, and now the 8 foot 3d wreaths is at least built the same size, same foliage, and is in fact better than the ones 10 years ago. and yes, the price has gone up, but duh, so has everything else.
at least I know what I am getting and know what I am selling.