Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I cannot figure out my lawn

Please help!

I do everything by the book with my lawn yet my grass in the front yard is browning and grass in the back it perfectly green. The front yard is full sun and back yard is part sun... not sure if that is the reason.

Quick lawn history...

I live near Cleveland - zone 6 where temps in the summer are between 77-89 with high humidity. My lawn company put down one fertilizer application in the spring and nothing else because I told them to hold off on crabgrass/weed stuff due to all the spring seeding I did.

I mulch mow clippings and leaves in the fall.
Mow on the highest setting and do it later in the day when its cool out.
Never cut more than 1/3rd of the blade.
Water deeply and infrequently.
Just had blades sharpened a month ago.
Aerate in the fall

As you can see from the pic the grass is green in the back yard and brown in the front except for small patches of green in places which I suspect is from my 20lb Boston Terrier peeing?

I ruled out dull blades because they have been sharp for a month... Now all I can think is the grass is going dormant during the heat (though I thought watering would stop that). OR I am in need of a feeding (but I thought summer feedings were a no no).

Please help me correct this because I have plenty of nice green lawns on my block.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Watering will get it back into shape. You should see some of my irrigated lawns in the dead heat of summer. As green as can be while the non irrigated ones suffer tremendously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no book that recommends seeding in the spring, fall is the best time to grow grass. It make's a big difference. How dense are those grass plant's? That make's a big difference. Automatic irrigation or not? Again, huge difference. That street and all those lot's were graded with a bulldozer and all the topsoil is typically sold off by the developer's. You could have major compaction or debris buried, that's very common. Fertilizer is the last thing you need in the heat of summer. Dormancy has more to do with soil temp's. Watering slow's it down some, you can't stop it though. But that's not the problem. You need to start with a soil test, a real one -

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/pdf/1132.pdf

This is real cheap and the lab is not busy at this time of year. Post the result's here for more answer's. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks like a fungus issue. I'd buy a quart on neem oil...you mix one ounce per gallon or water. Apply the contents of a one gallon sprayer and then again in 15 days. Wait a week then water the lawn with a hose end sprayer of mirical grow... And water it 2-3 times a week in no rain. It will be green!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Different view. Its full sun, it needs a break from it, think about planting a street tree with filtered shade like a Thornless honey locust. Or you planted in spring right? the Annual grasses in your seed mix might be just dying off.

If it was dog wiz you would see patches, not a fade.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Adam , do you know what your soil structure is? The water deeply and infreaquently is probably the worst lawn advice out there. If your soil structure isn't one that can hold that water you are just wasting it.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Judging by the neighbors lawn across the street in your photo that is also browning near sidewalks and driveways, lack of water perhaps.