Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug8949 View Post
hi i take care of 200 homes done every 14 days i also take care of 30 homes i do weekly and 160 different apartment buildings. How much equipment will i need i figure about (5) 2 man crews. what do you think
If you're in Vegas your average lawn takes a 2 man crew 8 minutes. If you're in the land of several acre lawns it changes things up. We really need more info on your location and the average lot size.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats a lot of mowing!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
If you're in Vegas your average lawn takes a 2 man crew 8 minutes. If you're in the land of several acre lawns it changes things up. We really need more info on your location and the average lot size.
I feel like this is more of a brag thread..........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think hes more than likely gotten in bed with a property management company and these 200 homes are in 8-plexes and there are several of them right there in a neighborhood block totaling 200....the 160 is another complex.

So essentially these are just two big commercial accounts.

IF you do them Bi weekly, is there anything wrong with do Half on week one and half on week two?

This greatly drops the amount of equipment you need.

If you were to take care of a 200 tenant complex, yes then they are all probably 8 minute lawns..

If this were the case, I would do this three ways depending on how much room I had to deal with. and how much budget I had.

Option 1
Walker GHS 36: X2 and two men,
weed whackers and hand blowers.
boom done.
don't need more equipment.

Option 2
36" stander mowers x2 with mulching kits
weed whacker x2
back pack blowers x2

Option 3
36" belt drive walk behinds
weed whacker x2
big wheel blower
back pack blower

Either way I could get these 200 completed weekly in a 100/100 rotation no problem. just two guys.

Here's the kicker.

With the walkers, the pro is, you can do MORE than those lawns, in fact you could do the 160 as well..

The con is where do you dump all that grass.

With the mulching standers you might have problems keeping up certain times of the season because of bi weekly cuts and too much grass. but most of the year, quick and clean.

The belt drive walk behinds are going to be cheap and easy to replace, but you will need another crew to do the 160 units and they will share over time to get the 3 units done as well....

but just starting out? If it were me? I'd go belt drive walk behinds, x2, 4 men two trucks.
4 each 36 belt drives.
6 each weed whackers (back ups)
3 back pack blowers, 1 hand held blower
1 big wheel blower.
1 small enclosed trailer
1 set of ramps (one of the trucks would just put mowers on ramps in the back of the rig)

big bang boom.
Done.

Next question, will you have responsibility for irrigation, fert n squirt , weeds/beds maintenance, turf care like aeration, or trash policing?

if so you will need other stuff and people, as well.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it amazes me at what I read on here

If this really does happen I wish it would fall out of the sky and hit me in the head. I bid on a contract this year that had twenty five free standing homes in a private housing development. The homes averaged from 1/4 of a million to a million plus in cost. Once the Home Owners Association narrowed it down to the final three companies. By the way this was after seeing my business license and proof of insurance. They asked to come to my shop and do a visual inspection of my equipment to ensure that I had the equipment to service the properties. This was a first for me. But it was also the largest contract to date. Needless to say, I got the contract and after they asked to view the other two companies equipment; they both backed out.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind