Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanch View Post
That's one thing I forgot to mention, the smoke continues throughout the run cycle. It doesn't taper off whether cold or hot. The engine passed the leak down and compression checks with flying colors. If there was a broken oil ring, wouldn't it blow massive amounts of air out of the dipstick during the leak down check?
Posted via Mobile Device
just to clarify...mechanic I am not, just backyard engineer like most everyone else on here. my thoughts are an oil ring because the oil slips by it and a tiny amount past the compression until the compression ring expands enough to block the majority of it. Even at operating temp, even a drop or two coming past would create a lot of smoke. This would account for the foul plug, negigible lose of oil, continued smoke, and no blow by (due to valves being on top side of compession ring and a broke oil ring below the compression ring. I did once see a bi-plane at an airshow smoking like your talking about....Good luck with your mower, nothing is more frustrating than a broke piece of equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
just to clarify...mechanic I am not, just backyard engineer like most everyone else on here. my thoughts are an oil ring because the oil slips by it and a tiny amount past the compression until the compression ring expands enough to block the majority of it. Even at operating temp, even a drop or two coming past would create a lot of smoke. This would account for the foul plug, negigible lose of oil, continued smoke, and no blow by (due to valves being on top side of compession ring and a broke oil ring below the compression ring. I did once see a bi-plane at an airshow smoking like your talking about....Good luck with your mower, nothing is more frustrating than a broke piece of equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would think (and still could be) the oil ring. It just baffles me that it's doing the same thing on the other cylinder. Failure of the oil rings but not the compression rings, and on both sides?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you keep saying both cylinders but only one fouled plug. i bet its only one cylinder and its the one with the fouled plug that has a bad ring
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I MOW ALONE View Post
you keep saying both cylinders but only one fouled plug. i bet its only one cylinder and its the one with the fouled plug that has a bad ring
And that would cause oil to pool in both valve covers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanch View Post
And that would cause oil to pool in both valve covers?
Posted via Mobile Device
You are gonna getthe pooling in the valve covers to lubricate the springs and rockers. If it didnt pool in the valve cover,there would be no need for it. You are getting oil in the chamber and thats what is causing the smoke. Oil in the valve covers have nothing to do with oil in the chamber.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWhite View Post
You are gonna getthe pooling in the valve covers to lubricate the springs and rockers. If it didnt pool in the valve cover,there would be no need for it. You are getting oil in the chamber and thats what is causing the smoke. Oil in the valve covers have nothing to do with oil in the chamber.
I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities before tearing the engine down, so I apologize for all the questions.

I guess the last one I have would be the valve stem seals. They are designed to prevent oil from the valve covers from entering the combustion chamber.
Posted via Mobile Device