Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I use 10W-30 and 30WT all in one.

For those that cant figure out how amsoil does this it is because the REAL synthetic group IV and V base stock they use is a straight 30WT but it is so good it actually flows like a 10W and meets the requirements to be labeled a 10W-30 and also straight 30WT. They don't add any viscosity modifiers to the oil at all. That makes it a superior oil because viscosity modifiers make oil less sheer stable and less stable in general. This is very important in these hot running high load air cooled small engines. The oil does not sheer out of spec as easily and it does not break down from the heat as easily as fake synthetics. On top of that the amsoil i posted is high in detergents and high in ZDDP which is great for the flat tappet cams in these small engines.

All 10W-30 oils bought at parts stores are fake synthetic and most people don't even know it. Group III base stock is not real synthetic. It is crude oil that goes through a process (hydro cracking) to make the molecules more even (simulate real synthetic).

Now take that information and do with it as you like. I know some people are set in there ways and refuse to make any changes. That amsoil can easily go 200+ hours before it should be changed in these small engines assuming you run a quality filter and your air filter seals up tight and does a good job like the big donaldson air filters do.

This post is from May and old, but the last poster brought it up, so why not continue it? Anyway, being that your a fan of Amsoil, I will agree with you, I'm a believer that Amsoil makes quality oil. I ran it for many years growing up in Motocross bikes and thought highly of Amsoil. However, I think it would be MORE popular it was more readily available like your other oils. You mention other oils not being "real synthetic" because of their Group III stock rather then Amsoil's IV stock. Wile I'm one of the ones that did knew this information, I might interpret it a little different then you though. Can you point me to what's wrong with group III stock? I have three trucks that were born, bread, and fed their entire life on Group III stock, Mobile 1, two which went 250,000+ when sold perfectly running, the current at 308,000 and doesn't miss a beat. Had Kawasaki's that ran 3,300 hours before even considering a rebuilt, again born, bread, and fed Group III stock. I won't disagree with you and say Amsoil isn't good because I like their forumulas, but in the long run % of Grp III vs Grp IV basestocks is a very small picture in the end result of a good oil formula in my books.

I've said it once, twice, and three times and I'll say it again. Most oils out there meet the same recommendations from the millions of dollars in R&D on our machines. No matter how good the oil, no matter how bad the oil, the purpose is the same. LUBRICATE, CLEAN, AND COOL. An oil can say it's good for 500,000 miles, another test can say it still has xx amount of protection properties. But take a bearing with fresh grease and feel how smooth it spins. Take the same bearing, add dirt to it., and feel what the added friction does to the bearing. No matter if your running Amsoil Group IV, Group III, or Amsoil Pure Gold, your engine has air and fuel burning, causing carbon to build in the engine. The carbon that bypasses the filter is adding friction. Take a oil with "carbon" or dirt in it compared to a fresh oil and see which transfers heat better. Again the purpose of oil isn't just to "protect" and lubricate, it's to also "COOL AND CLEAN." If that oils constantly cleaning the engine, what's in the oil after 10,000 miles? I'll take fresh Penzoil dino 10w30 over Amsoil with 15,000 miles on it.

Many here can keep debating this oil is better than this oil. In the meantime, I'll keep using my Mobile 1 group III stock, with a proven track record, at 3,000 mile and 50 hour oil change intervals and my engines will keep pumping. When I hit 1,000,000 miles on my truck it will get donated to mobile 1 or wix and Chevorlet will get a birthday cake with a picture of the odometer on it. However, I won't praise it lasting so long because I was using "mobile 1" it lasted that long because the oil got changed every 2,800-3,000 miles maximum.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here it can be 5 degrees in the morning and 30+ in the afternoon, I use 10w30 in everything and 5w30 in the snow machines, I usually buy castrol, non synthetic, has worked thus far.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We buy Schaeffer from dealer and use it in everything. Mowers use partial synthetic. About $5 - $7 a quart.

Name:  20141109_103128.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  20141109_103201.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  20141109_103224.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  97.9 KB
Unlike mike I only change oil when the truck asked me to.
On mowers I go 100hrs and hydr at 200hrs.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We buy Schaeffer from dealer and use it in everything. Mowers use partial synthetic. About $5 - $7 a quart.

Attachment 299471

Attachment 299472

Attachment 299473
Unlike mike I only change oil when the truck asked me to.
On mowers I go 100hrs and hydr at 200hrs.

I hear you. But all them quarts? What happen to the gallons?

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use Kawasaki synthetic blend 10 30 oil here in all of our mowers. $4.97 a quart here retail. We recommend 10x30 over the 30 straight as the Kohler motors won't handle straight 30 to be safe. I hear its one of the few if not last oil with zinc in it and is fully tested with mower engines....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem I have with Amsoil is I don't believe they 'make' their own oil, I do believe they market someone else's... No doubt it's good oil but why pay more for the same oil I can get from any other big brand name when all they're doing is re-bottling it, the only mystery here is whose oil they're bottling. The thing that gives it away is their Multi-Level marketing angle, that throws a negative light on this company for me. Seems to me their prices aren't all that, more than likely that's because some distributor (and that's where we run into problems)... When I can't get the oil direct from the manufacturer, when I either have to pay a middleman or I have to first become a distributor myself and pay a certain amount of money per year to be a member of this 'club' of sorts... Folks I just don't like it when anyone is selling something out from under a Pyramid Ponzi scheme umbrella. I just don't care for their entire marketing aspect, seems to me the oil is merely a cover up for yet another 'amway' style business, sorry but the whole thing just reeks of that. Were it not for that I might have more faith in this company, that having been said I do use their 100:1 2-cycle mix oil and it works good.

Last edited by herler; 11-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.