Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Contractors mix mess

I planted some Scotts (south) Contractors mix to patch some bare spots in tall fescue, and after 3 years and some dry periods, have seed shoots coming up. I could cut more often to stop this, but this grass is so much different from the other. The front has a few spots which I could Round Up, but I overseeded the back and don't want to kill all and start over during a drought. Any suggestions about what to do, or what kind of grass this is (see photos)?
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like poa anna , good luck getting rid of it.

Id at least bag when you mow might help.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what made you choose contractors mix?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
what made you choose contractors mix?
Wondering that myself...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

"what made you choose contractors mix?"

Pure ignorance... at the time I just wanted something to plant and researched nothing. In St. Louis, I use Jaguar (4 types of TF?), but had none. I thought Scotts was always good stuff. 'Contractors mix' came up on an old thread here and one member simply wrote, referring to CM as, "Johnson grass" which is about what this looks like.

The only way I got rid of it around sprinkler heads in front (after pulling roots/clumps out for a year) was Round Up with about a 4" buffer zone. I got some seed at the local supply store here in CA (no Jaguar in CA) which they call Dixie Green and it's beautiful and hardy (generic bag/no content list) esp after growing for a year or two (planted some ~3-4 ft along the side fence in back and don't want it to get infected with the garbage grass).

I wrote to Scotts on their site (now I have an email address to send them photos). They said sorry I wasn't satisfied with their product, they guarantee it, and would be happy to send me a refund if I could find the receipt (I should have it somewhere) but that's peanuts compared to what it will cost to fix this (mostly time and water). They should have a 'black box' warning on CM bags NOT to overseed with this stuff. The closest similar thing I've seen is straw seeds germinating (but not so many and maybe could be pulled).

I've been pulling the seed spears before mowing and it doesn't seem to get more spears, but I think this stuff has rhizomes (was hoping I could 'neuter it' by pulling "female? spears" and no more would grow). I think the answer is to kill it all and start over (except DG by fence) - then I'll have time to sterilize it of seeds (water, grow, kill), and put down Dixie Green in the fall. CA probably still has no rain water, but water won't evaporate so fast if cooler. I've used 'seed cover sheet' with some success (15 years ago I got some 'clearish' with a bunch of holes punched through it which allowed water to flow through, but now it's all white and tends to repel water though eventually soaks through). Would be easier if I'd only put it around sprinkler heads and not overseeded.

I'm always learning and appreciate input from experienced people.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but poa annua is a unfortunate fact of life that's going to be around forever. It's a opportunistic plant that grow's in places other grass plant's will not. One mature plant can produce 14,000 seed's in it's lifetime. The seed's themselves are viable for at least 25 year's. Million's of dollar's get spent worldwide annually on it's control. In the US, with regulation's against seed field sterilization and control's on herbicide's, poa is a major side effect that can be seen in almost every bag of grass seed sold. You'll never be completely rid of it. The best you can expect is just partial control.