Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

at least y'all are all passionate about the cause. carry on
Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I will have to publicly apologize to James and eat my crow. Unfortunately, it appears that I was mis-lead and the claimed performance value of the omni-directional LED lamps that I tested is obviously exaggerated. At this point, I will have to agree with you that there are no G-4 lamps available with a lumen output of >350..... at least I haven't found it yet. I'm a bit perplexed about it though. Is there a specific reason why this lamp can't be manufactured with a higher lumen output? There are numerous applications where I like to use a beam spread greater than 60 so MR16 based applications simply are not an acceptable alternative. It is a sacrifice that I will endure for now, but a suitable lamp for this application has to be out there somewhere and I will be truly grateful to anyone who discovers it and shares the info.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

At least you are man enough to admit a mistake.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for that Chris.

Having done my fair share of LED lamp development in the recent past, I can tell you that it gets very hard to produce high output miniature LED lamps that will maintain the standard form factor of an incandescent lamp (so that they fit into the fixtures) and produce the high lumen output that you want. You can try to get the lumen output in two ways. 1: Multiple LED chips. However the more LEDs you use the larger the lamp and the larger the driver, pushing the size beyond acceptable dimensions. 2: Higher Output LEDs. The problem here is generally the amount of heat produced by very high output chips. When mounted to a miniature size lamp, there is no where for all that heat to go.

All that being said, there is a trick I have used to get significantly higher outputs from an LED lamped fixture. Assuming you have the room in the fixture body (I have done this with flood / soft wash fixtures) you can mount two sockets and then use two G4 or G5.3 BiPin LED Lamps at around 200 Lumens each. It is not perfect, but it does work.

You could also try using a high output LED MR16 lamp with a frost fixture lens. There will be a bit of a hotspot in the middle, but the frost lens does a pretty decent job at scattering the light across a wider beam thatn would emanate from the MR16 lamp alone.

Light On!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA