Register free!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
. How are you spraying your Atrimmec on the big stuff? Climbing up a ladder with the sprayer? Or just spraying them from the ground? In particular ligustrum and viburnum.
Ladder. The tallest viburnum I have currently is roughly 9 to 10 foot tall and I can still apply to it without a ladder because the way it is shaped it is not flat top and is more rounded as the other half is on the neighbors property.

The ligustrum trees = ladder for sure

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdlawnscapes View Post
For the most part I just spray from the ground. However I was thinking about getting a bag of cutless for the big hedge rows. How much does it cost in comparison to the atrimmec? When would you apply it? I agree it would be easier to do the granular on the big stuff but does it work as well as the atrimmec?
Posted via Mobile Device

It works well on viburnum. It is costly, and probably best relegated to big hedge rows that are difficult to spray. It's around $6 a pound. Rate is 3/4-2lb per 100 sq foot of bed. One example, on a 8' tall viburnum that is 75' long, but only has about 3' of bed directly under it, I typically use 4 lbs. Applied in the end of March it usually cuts the growth enough to until about the end of June. If reapplied and trimmed then I will get another 10 weeks with not much trimming necessary, just very light touch up. Because of the cost I usually cut the rate and use about 2 lbs on the whole thing two more times in the fall and winter. So the cost would be about $70-80 for the year.

I have found it works best to apply it one week, trim the next. Rather than trim and apply the same week. It obviously has to work it's way through the plant. The key is to reapply before it looks like you need to. But if you do, you think you might be wasting product. If you wait to reapply until you start seeing a large amount of new growth, I would trim it and use Atrimmec instead.

Atrimmec is going to be cheaper. It works faster. Then again, I haven't used Atrimmec on big hedges. I don't know how often you are having to reapply on those. Cutless may not cost any more. But it's so easy to load up a Spredrite-G with granules and call it done.

Last edited by Keith; 10-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

BTW, a Spredrite-G is the best way I have found to apply Cutless G. They are about 35 bucks. Get a postage scale, weigh the Spredrite, then add Cutless and mark the side of the Spredrite in 1/2 or 1 pound increments so you can visually see how much you are putting down.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
BTW, a Spredrite-G is the best way I have found to apply Cutless G. They are about 35 bucks. Get a postage scale, weigh the Spredrite, then add Cutless and mark the side of the Spredrite in 1/2 or 1 pound increments so you can visually see how much you are putting down.
Interesting product. I do not do much of any granular at this point but a cool product if I still was myself.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pricey and I feel the sprays are easier to control and your able to ensure coverage.
Posted via Mobile Device