Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILS View Post
The dealer I use actually has everything from car lots to a feed store. They sale 3 brands of mowers, Bad Boy, Cub Cadet and Dixie Chopper.

When I take a mower in for service they let me use a demo mower if I need to.

Now on the bad side, sometimes it takes days for them to even look at my equipment. Their service department stays swamped.
Posted via Mobile Device
I used to run a Dixie/Toro shop… we had at least 3 dixies as demo/loaners at any one time.

I might keep a mower for weeks til it got fixed.. but no one really cared because they weren't down a mower.
We'd pick it up AND drop it off…. customer didn't even have to come in (if he did he'd realize I was a landscaper too! had to keep that on the down lo! lol)

My only attitude is i refused to help out homeowners… they would tie up my service counter kid for an hour looking up some random part for a craftsman or some other dang thing only to find out it was a 47 cent part….
I closed my doors to walk ins and homeowners… IF you ain't in the BIZ keep packing buddy!

I had about 17 commercial customers that kept 4 shop employees busy when they weren't occupied with my own stuff.

My shop rig would travel up to 20 miles to pick up a down lawn mower, and have a dixie on the trailer to drop off immediately….I didn't care if you had a down walk behind.. you got a 60" dixie as a loaner lol
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer is a lot like TPendagast's. Loaners, most guys just go in to pick up their own equipment, but if it's not an option the dealer will drop off and pick up.

They do help homeowners, but they let them know up front that their equipment is not a priority because they cater to commercial.

You should take the advice about calling Scag. I'm sure Scag will clear the situation up about sending the lawn guys "down the road."
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you for all of the feedback on this incident guys. If I don't sell my scag I may trade it in at the exmark dealer anyway. I was excited to hear that we were going to get a scag dealer in town so that way I didn't have to travel so far for minor parts and such. But I wanted to go in there and test them after I started hearing bad things about them.
This is why I went in in the first place. Honestly, I just recently discovered partstree.com. So for anything outside of warranty work, I'll probably just try and replace it myself. One thing that makes me want to keep the scag over an exmark is how easy it is to maintain and reach on the mower. Everything on the exmark version seems tucked away and not very accessible. Anyways, I will call scag and the shop at the right time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Thank you for all of the feedback on this incident guys. If I don't sell my scag I may trade it in at the exmark dealer anyway. I was excited to hear that we were going to get a scag dealer in town so that way I didn't have to travel so far for minor parts and such. But I wanted to go in there and test them after I started hearing bad things about them.
This is why I went in in the first place. Honestly, I just recently discovered partstree.com. So for anything outside of warranty work, I'll probably just try and replace it myself. One thing that makes me want to keep the scag over an exmark is how easy it is to maintain and reach on the mower. Everything on the exmark version seems tucked away and not very accessible. Anyways, I will call scag and the shop at the right time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have found calling scag doesn't make a difference.
Our local scag dealer (one of the only professional dealers IN Alaska) is a scag pro gold (means they love a lot of machines)
they are giant anus's
they have major attitudes for tiny amounts of industry experience.
They charge 20% over MSRP and expect to be worshipped for the privilege of buying a mower from them.

Two season ago, I called for a demo on Vride. I was told the don't do demos…. w-w-what?

I mean I would understand if they were an itty bitty country store that sold a few scans a year, but they are PRO GOLD…they squat out scags.

so I called Scag, told them they had a pro gold dealer here, refusing demos.

Two weeks later, yea I got my demo (scag shipped one straight up here from the factory)
But they promised me that the OWNER of the company would call me about how I was treated (the dealer owner, not scag's CEO)
Did I ever hear from him? No.
Empty words.

Did I buy a Scag?
No.

I have convinced 5 other companies not to buy scags either, and another company that was all scags I convinced to go with gravely (there is this dealer who sells grasshopper and gravely and literally no one knows about him because he mainly sells/repairs huge marine engines)

The sad thing is…. i REALLY want a new scag (or 5 or 10)

I just REFUSE to sit idly by and watch people like that prosper, or support them myself.

(oh one more thing, just last season they 'unexpectedly' had to close their satellite shop and now share showroom space with their co-partner rental store…oh no…didn't their sales drop? HOW did that happen??)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=TPendagast;4965982]I have found calling scag doesn't make a difference.
Our local scag dealer (one of the only professional dealers IN Alaska) is a scag pro gold (means they love a lot of machines)
they are giant anus's
They charge 20% over MSRP and expect to be worshipped for the privilege of buying a mower from them.

Two season ago, I called for a demo on Vride. I was told the don't do demos…. w-w-what?

I mean I would understand if they were an itty bitty country store that sold a few scans a year, but they are PRO GOLD…they squat out scags.

Two weeks later, yea I got my demo (scag shipped one straight up here from the factory)
But they promised me that the OWNER of the company would call me about how I was treated (the dealer owner, not scag's CEO)
Empty words.

Did I buy a Scag?
No.

I have convinced 5 other companies not to buy scags either, and another company that was all scags I convinced to go with gravely (there is this dealer who sells grasshopper and gravely and literally no one knows about him because he mainly sells/repairs huge marine engines)

I just REFUSE to sit idly by and watch people like that prosper, or support them myself.

(oh one more thing, just last season they 'unexpectedly' had to close their satellite shop and now share showroom space with their co-partner rental store…oh no…didn't their sales drop? HOW did that happen??)[/QUOT
Sounds like a bad attitude to me. I hope no one does that to your business just because you rubbed them the wrong way. Not everybody gets along like best buds. No reason to maliciously attack someone's business and livelihood. If you don't care to go there then just don't go there and mind your own business. Best of luck to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
I have found calling scag doesn't make a difference.
they are giant anus's

Empty words.

Did I buy a Scag?
No.

(oh one more thing, just last season they 'unexpectedly' had to close their satellite shop and now share showroom space with their co-partner rental store…oh no…didn't their sales drop? HOW did that happen??)
So, Scag shipped a brand new machine straight from their factory in Wisconsin to ALASKA... for you to DEMO???

And that wasn't good enough for you????

Well, those rotten b%&stards!!! LOL!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Umm you'd have to be here bud.

They treat everyone like crap.

They are essentially the only dealer in town, and they capitalize on it.

there is an exmark dealer in fairbanks but that's so far away it's like another country.

There is a walker dealer but he's tiny, kinda runs out of his back yard so to speak, and the gravely/grasshopper dealer isn't truly a mower dealer…they just happen to carry those brands…hardly anyone knows about them…they don't have very good service, but they are nice people… if they had more interest in their mowers, more people, they'd probably put more effort into it.

I turned a few people on to them last season (literally no one knew they had gravleys and only the muni buys grasshopper from them.

The only reason WHY people buy the scags here is because of the dealer presence. But they treat everyone like crap and literally to everyones face tell them they just have to deal with their prices because they don't have another choice.

So when people complain about it, don't get satisfaction, and I know of other alternatives, I clue them into it.
I helped the Kubota dealer in town bring and and sell several machines too (although I didn't get him the big fleet sale I was almost sure he could have gotten)

I wouldn't be able to do that if the scag dealer wasn't a pig.

It's not SCAGs issue…it's the DEALER.

and for your information, a SCAG PRO GOLD dealer is REQUIRED to have demo units…it's part of the platform and flooring.

Scag sent a demo because there is supposed to be one and there wasn't… they were simply complying with their own protocol… they didn't ship one especially for me.
They ship mowers from the factory all over the world for sale and demo…sending them to alaska isn't that special…especially since this is a pro gold dealer, meaning they already move (and there for get shipped to them) a lot of machines.

I wanted to buy scags (I have ferris's now) I still want to buy scags (I like the Vride and the SWZT as well as the swzs)… I just can't DEAL with these guys, and they have customers jumping ship left and right now that they are aware of other brands.

You can talk til you are blue in the face to the scag dealer about the issue… they literally and boldly do not care.
The walker dealer isn't as much of a putz, but he's still unreasonable with his pricing… 15k for a 48 GHS with a 23…. too high. He sells 3-5 machines a year.
I'm still trying to figure out how he makes a living… maybe dredges for gold in the off season?