Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
A few questions were raised so I'll answer.

The reason I didn't get another Bob-Cat is because I don't particularly like their new design. The riding platform looks like they tried to copy a Cheetah with your foot room being more narrow except the seat on a Cheetah has a divider in the center front of the seat to give your legs some lift and separation. No such separation on the new Bob-Cat seat and I'm guessing there are thousands of squished nuts screaming out for those Bob-Cat operators.

Why didn't I get a new engine for my Bob-Cat? I will be getting a new engine for it shortly but, I needed something to use in the meanwhile since that was my only commercial mower. Anyone know where to get a new Generac or a good alternative engine to put on it? Kohler maybe?

Lever adjustment on the Scag? It's easy to see that the notches under the big knob are not aligned together for both sides so you then have to loosen and try to adjust the little screws on the handles which didn't do enough. I guess I could ask for new handles since that's likely what it would take to get a matching pair. Or maybe drill out one of the smaller holes in the handles so that they can be shifted a little more to achieve the same position on the bars when they are full forward or in neutral.

Another question was why did I buy a Turf Tiger. Well fellas, all I've heard in the last 5 plus years since I joined this forum is about how Scag was the pinnacle of zero turn mowers with such a great deck, striping prowess and unmatched durability. Believe me, I wanted a mower that would stripe superbly right out of the crate and I thought a Turf Tiger would make me completely satisfied in this department. I have come to the realization that it's just another mower and it isn't as magically superior as I had been led to believe.

I have a question of my own to the other owners of Scags. Why are you satisfied with bars that can't be easily adjusted to match? Why are you satisfied with a deck raising system that is not well designed? Why in general are you satisfied with so many easily fixable quality control issues on a lawn mower that costs in the neighborhood of $11k? Scag's reputation is going to carry them just as long as people keep spreading undeserved praise. I'd sell this one for a decent loss in a month or less after I get a new engine on my Bob-Cat.
Thanks for posting your review on the Turf Tiger. I know that it wasn't easy considering how the banner wavers might react to negative words. I think that while the Turf Tiger is a very good, tough, durable and reliable mower, it is not perfect and nor is any mower perfect. Each of us has our own needs/wants, as to what is the most important feature in a mower for our conditions.

Since you have had more time to get used to the new mower, do you have any updates/additions to your original thoughts on the mower?