Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hey Exact Rototilling,

This is the second time you have mentioned beater trucks and trailers and Walkers....

This is just funny to me and a bit confusing...

It's kind of an oxy-moron... Beater trucks and Walkers....

Those two things don't exactly go together in my experience..

Are these guys spending all their $ on Walkers thereby having no money left and getting beater trucks and trailers?

Or are they getting used Walkers?
Every Walker I've seen here is a beater usually pulled by a beater truck. Nobody has a new Walker on their trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys...

I was just curious is all, especially since Walkers are not cheap, and getting a used Walker that will last you more than one season is still going to cost you about as much as you would pay for some of the other brands...

The industry in Florida is so confusing to me.... Seems like it has it's own little microcosm with it's own rules and norms and trends etc... There was a profile in the Walker Talk magazine about a guy working on some sort of Island in Florida and he was doing some AMAZING properties... pretty cool...
Old 02-21-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Cool, thanks for the info guys...

I was just curious is all, especially since Walkers are not cheap, and getting a used Walker that will last you more than one season is still going to cost you about as much as you would pay for some of the other brands...

The industry in Florida is so confusing to me.... Seems like it has it's own little microcosm with it's own rules and norms and trends etc... There was a profile in the Walker Talk magazine about a guy working on some sort of Island in Florida and he was doing some AMAZING properties... pretty cool...
Sure, down south there a few communities of the rich and famous. Joe Blow landscpaper isn't likely to get past the gate guard to even try though. The vast majority is stucco box subdivisions with builder quality landscapes and middle class budgets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMowed View Post
Let me lead off by saying that I am in no way, shape, or form a lazy person and I am certainly willing to put in the time and effort necessary to learn a trade and business. That being said I am not completely convinced that lawn care/landscaping is a very good business to be in. I have only been in business for 3 years, which I know is a very short amount of time, but I am beginning to see that it is VERY difficult to turn a decent profit cutting grass. It just isn't there to be made. In my opinion most of the money made in the world is made off of ignorance. Your lawyer can charge you $400 for 15 mins work to make a living will because you know nothing about it. Your dentist can charge you $2000 for 20 mins of drilling your teeth because you know nothing about it. Well....... people DO know something about cutting their grass. They know they aren't going to pay someone $200 to cut a lawn they could cut in 30 mins. I am afraid I will put in 20 years of my life building a lawncare/landscape business that will be worth $250K. If I had gone into another business it would be worth WAY more. I just don't hear very many people saying " I started out with a push mower and now I make half a million dollars per year" . Maybe I'm unrealistic but I want a business with some upside potential.
I started out with a push mower out of the back of my fiancé's car. And 14 years later, I'm an overnight success! My first year I did $6000 in total revenue. In 2013, we did $1.18 million in total revenue & a total profit of $200k. In 2014, we are projecting $1.5 million in total revenue & a total profit of $300-350k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

@salcido do you do residential or commercial or a mix. If commercial I'd be curious to know about how many years ago of that 14 you moved in to commercial. I'm jealous of your success.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I started with wheel barrow and a buddys truck.. waited a few years till i started mowing..
Mowing is going to be your lowest profit margin... Snow and Fert is your highest then tree service (no material) but hard work..
since 2001- looking to hit 7 figures next year.. 215k in snow this season so far..

Im burned out, still young 33 years old.. Looking to move to Florida and start a Fert company this summer..
going to try to keep my business going here in Ohio..

I would say if your still young and can do 8 years in law or med school then do that.. This is a hard life, but i love being my own boss, live in a huge house on land, wife drives what ever German car she wants, i get a new truck every 2 years, etc. etc.

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
@salcido do you do residential or commercial or a mix. If commercial I'd be curious to know about how many years ago of that 14 you moved in to commercial. I'm jealous of your success.
Posted via Mobile Device
We do 99% commercial. The only residential properties we have, have been with me forever, or we maintain their business also. I really focused on making the transition to strictly commercial, about 4 years ago. We now, won't even bid a resi yard. I have a few friends in the biz, that we refer them to. With commercial properties, I make 2-3x's the money, with half the hassle!! It was one if the best business decisions that I've made.
Posted via Mobile Device