Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Some people will never "get" it. The whole pay thing bothers me, because some people could be paid $50\hour and they just don't understand the concept of the customer is the one making their paycheck possible.

Others do "get" it. And sometimes you have to go through a busload or two of employees before you find them.
This ^

Simple fact of the matter is that there is a shortage of labor that cares. There are plenty of people who want a job because they want a paycheck. But the number of reliable people you can count on is much less. The only way I know to find the good ones as mentioned is to go through the bad ones. It usually takes several weeks after a new employee is hired to fully vet them. Sometimes it becomes obvious that someone won't work out. Sometimes they can grow given time.

I don't know what your policy is with the guys, but if there is a difference in pay among them, I would make sure they are aware that discussing pay is a big no-no. Big way to create enmity among guys is for them to discuss pay. We consider it a fire-able offense. They were hired to do a job and agreed to a pay to do that job. Different people are hired at different times with different skills to do different things. May not be an issue, but I have seen it wreak havok on a crew.

Bottom line, I think about it like this. I am running a business, and employ people to work for me. They do not take the risk that I take, and typically have NO idea how much work goes into getting the work that gives them a steady paycheck. I am always "seeking" qualified employees, and am always working to build a strong team. This does require an active, constant search but I believe is worth it. I take care of my guys, but sometimes someone makes it obvious they don't care to be a team player. I am their friend but I am also their boss. The coach may be best friend of the quarterback, but if he can't throw the ball without an interception, he gets benched. No employee is going to care as much about detail and quality as you, the owner, do. It is just par for the course.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Taking pride in their work is something that must come from within. It is a mentality, a principle, that manifests as actions during their work.
You can show them you appreciate it by saying so, giving rewards, raises, etc...
Creating a good work mentality in someone is changing their mind, I am not sure how to do that in a work environment.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Taking pride in their work is something that must come from within. It is a mentality, a principle, that manifests as actions during their work.
You can show them you appreciate it by saying so, giving rewards, raises, etc...
Creating a good work mentality in someone is changing their mind, I am not sure how to do that in a work environment.
I agree with this. I haven't had luck turning the mentality around, they either got or they don't and I can usually find out in half a day or less.

At one time I was in charge of 98 employees, trying to get them to work together and have pride in what they can accomplish as a team was a lesson in futility, even with all the team building training, seminars and great incentives (compensation and gifts) there was a percent we just couldn't reach.

When you find those that meet your expectations it's best to reward them and put your time into them and keep replacing the others that don't meet expectations until you get better team members.