Register free!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Topsites & Sheshovel

I have the same problem you are talking about. Around here we call it "ground juniper". It does make a very nice low growing ground cover. One of my cabins has a large area with this and about 3 years ago all of a sudden this thick growing tall thin grass type of weed started coming up amongst the juniper. Never had this problem before. It was like someone had come along and threw a bunch of weed seeds. They get so thick they block the sun light and the juniper starts dying out. Like you said, they are very easy to pull up but there are so many and within a week or two they are all back again. I can't remember which forum but somewhere on this site this problem was mentioned before and one of the landscapers said to use a product called "Fusilade". He said it would kill the weeds and not hurt the juniper. This stuff is not cheap. A quart cost me $65.00. I have not tried it yet but will be soon. I'll try it on a small area first and will let you know if the juniper suffers any ill effects.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

lontril works very well for this also...kills very difficult to control weeds in ground cover and shrubs