Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
I know I'll get grief for this but I never water it! I fertilize with Lesco products every 6 weeks. Dethatch in spring followed by 2 apps of fert with dimension in spring/ cross check/ then fert with a merit app. In the fall aerate seed/ lime/ starter fertilizer. Then a winterizer fert in November. This has to be a fungus or dying grass. The grass blades are just all rotted in the infected areas. Started in the Same areas of the lawn as last time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty simple to figure out whether the grass was already dying before the infestations, OR, if it is dying becuz of the infestations... Sickly plants always invite Insects and Disease...

All of those cultural practices are bad for cool-season grasses... those cultural practices are invented by Salespeople... Your extension offices should give you correct info...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Pretty simple to figure out whether the grass was already dying before the infestations, OR, if it is dying becuz of the infestations... Sickly plants always invite Insects and Disease...

All of those cultural practices are bad for cool-season grasses... those cultural practices are invented by Salespeople... Your extension offices should give you correct info...

Couldn't offered better advice. Utilize your local agg office. They have everything from lawn experts to Master Gardner's that know your area and are willing to help you out, not to mention our tax dollars make them of existences.
When you tell us you haven't been watering, that's something I've been asking for from the beginning. When you leave out important details such as to us; it confuses us to a degree to where we can't help you or better yet we give you wrongful advice. Don't be ashamed to fess up to your mistakes and get your lawn fixed. We all make mistakes especially when learning.

Now maybe someone could shed some more light. But I can tell you from my PERSONAL experience that I recently had with turf. We ordered 4 pallets for the front lawn. Temperatures were in the 100's when we laid the sod. I kept it moist and the soil also moist as we laid the front. Finished the front lawn in one day. We had 3/4 of a pallet extra that dried out in the 100's for two days, then we also ordered another pallet. I laid the dried out pallet around my back patio two days later, I didn't a point in at least trying to SAVE all that hard earned money. Now the dried out area we laid in the back is just as green and "alive" as the rest of the lawn. From what I've read once it goes dead, it won't come back. But myself, I busted that myth. How so? I've been babying my grass since day one. Call your local agg office get some useful information, study weather patterns, and learn what works best for your lawn.
One thing I learned turf is one of those things that can turn for the better or the worse in days if you don't/do pay close close attention to it. I hope yours can also be saved. But more importantly, don't follow the same practices because their obviously not working. Lawns are expensive, if it takes you saving a $2,000.00 lawn by doing a few hours of research, I would get to work.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Certainly not grubworms. Grey leaf spot? Sod webworms? Black cutworms? What type of grass is affected? Full sun? Soil moisture? Mowing height? Hollow stems or sawdust? Kinda looks like 2 types of turgrass in the photo??
Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Other possibilities include: Sandy or some kind of poor soil from when the sidewalk was put in. Alkaline material leaching from concrete? Some kind of chemical leaching from the black mulch?

Some kind of pre-emergent applied in excess in the dark mulch, Snapshot or similar? Heat given off by the black mulch? Poor drainage that drowned the grass and happened months ago?