Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like I have to raise my prices. but in this area its very competitive. someone just called for a 5k lawn and I said $40 every 2 weeks and I don't think they wanted it.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't done very well targeting "postage stamp" lawns yet, and I've tried because I don't have a large mower yet. I've advertised in about 3 or 4 of those areas. I got one lawn that actually had no grass, but there was still $45 of work (trimming and cleaning up groundcover was the majority of it). But unfortunately that customer moved into an apartment.

Then one customer called about a $40 estimate on a postage stamp lawn, but she had already moved to a house with a larger size lawn, and asked me for an estaimte. I charged her $50, and got the job, but I think she is mowing it herself now. The fact that she called me does say maybe $40 wasn't too bad of a deal. I suppose if I was lower it's possible I would have had more calls, but it has been mentioned here that those would likely be the customers I don't want.

I may have actually got my first "postage stamp" customer the other day. It took about 5 minutes to mow the front with a 20". I'm not sure about the back, because she is trying to kill off the grass there and do landscaping, but she called me for a $45 estimate. She had me trim some tiny trees that were growing from stumps and spray the weeds, but there was no mowing or trimming in the back, so it still didn't take very long.

So, in my limited experience so far, it may take longer to get those customers with tiny lawns, but it does seem they are willing to pay $40-$45. So I personally would not go down to $20, based on what I have found so far. I can't decide whether to target those lawns or not though, because I may come out better on my labor (due to the small mower) but it will take me longer to get the customers (at least it has so far).

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem is having 2 to 5 companies offering 20 and you try offering 40.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

larryinalabama's 2 cents, NO Bashing!.

I think the decision should really be baised on how your business is structured. If your running a large truck and trailer, and large mowers I wouldn't bother because its not worth your time. Plus you will get have one hell of a time getting in and out of those complexes, and may wind up parking where your equiptment is not safe.

But if a feller had a 21" mower and a small PU or Astro Van or even a Caravan and made that his nich business he could make a real nice living. 20 places at 20$ done in a days time is 400$, and Expenses would EXTERMELY LOW. It would be a real nice living.

If the market existed in my area Id sell all my stuff and do it.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at all the new townhome communities in glenburnie area... yards are miniscule and allot of people dont want to bother with cutting them.

Just make a flyer specific to the neighborhood and have one price for a single townhouse and a special price if 3 or more adjoining houses all use you.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

half the yards arent even 500sq ft
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Look at all the new townhome communities in glenburnie area... yards are miniscule and allot of people dont want to bother with cutting them.

Just make a flyer specific to the neighborhood and have one price for a single townhouse and a special price if 3 or more adjoining houses all use you.
Some of those have a company doing the whole complex. We had a few around Pasadena.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
half the yards arent even 500sq ft
Lawn Site is about who has the biggest ZTR and how much money someone is stupid enough too borrow. That's why you almost never see anyone from So. California on these boards.

It would be a low investment, good return business for the right person.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Its a good market. im only part time and dont even offer grass cutting and i get requests for cutting all the time. I know one guy and he only charges 15 a lawn if joined and has 4 houses side by side that he is in and out in 15 min