Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. I'm not a fan of universal keys either- we might be changing that up soon. We are very thankful it wasn't the whole machine. We're relocating the machine and attachments this week to a locked compound near the plow site. Should get a little better security that way.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's crazy that someone would do that. It had to take quite some time too!

Andrew, I sent you a PM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say they wanted the 1 yard bucket to use at their landscape yard during the upcoming season, and they put the other one on the machine to keep it from looking obvious right away that there was something missing. It astounds me that they had the guts to take all that time though. Sorry to hear about your loss, maybe you could check the landscape places in the area.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

While it would not have helped in this instance, if you are serious about protecting your investments, look into a Dewalt Mobile Lock. Essentially a magnetic stick on GPS locator, you can hide it anywhere on a machine, and find it anywhere on earth within 15ft. All sorts of programmable settings, very affordable, it is very hard for me to resist the temptation to put it on something easy to steal, chipper, stump grinder, trailer, and leave it until it is stolen. Once it moves a set distance, cell rings, then its payback time for all the times I have been ripped off. Good luck in the recovery of bucket.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74inchShovel View Post
While it would not have helped in this instance, if you are serious about protecting your investments, look into a Dewalt Mobile Lock. Essentially a magnetic stick on GPS locator, you can hide it anywhere on a machine, and find it anywhere on earth within 15ft. All sorts of programmable settings, very affordable, it is very hard for me to resist the temptation to put it on something easy to steal, chipper, stump grinder, trailer, and leave it until it is stolen. Once it moves a set distance, cell rings, then its payback time for all the times I have been ripped off. Good luck in the recovery of bucket.
Have you tried this? Sounds really cool. I have thought about lojack but rather handle it myself.

I know there's software/gps that can tell you if a machine is started and you get an alert. Personally, I think if we started chopping off hands and heads then we might stop some of the theft and our insurance rates could go down.. win-win.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I have one. It is always in use. You can put what they call a " geo fence" around device, and if it moves outside of geo fence it will ring your cell. Device can be had for 250-450, monthly payments are 19.95. Google "Dewalt Mobile Lock" Some of the programming is pretty advanced, but they have good customer support. The guy who rents my Chipper always bitchs about no work, wanting a break on price. I tell him the address's of his last 3 jobs that week- his jaw hit the ground